Q. What are the reasons for persistent fever?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

I have had a fever for the last 4 to 5 days, and some two days before, I consulted our family doctor. He prescribed three doses of medicine, I have completed all three doses, but it did not help. Yesterday I had a fever of around 103.5 F. I took a Combiflam tablet, and after an hour, it was normal again. Today I have a temperature of about 102 F.

Please suggest some strong home remedies.

#

Finding the cause of fever is more important than taking medicine for the fever. The reason is that medication like Combiflam (Ibuprofen + Paracetamol) will only help reduce fever, but fever will come again. We need to find the reason that is causing the fever.

So kindly tell me if you have any of the following symptoms.

1. Burning micturition (painful urination).

2. Cough expectoration.

3. Abdominal pain and loose motion.

Once we find out the source of infection, it becomes very easy to treat it. You will need a five-day course of antibiotics, and you will be fine.

Also, you can get the following tests done.

1. Urine routine.

2. Chest x-ray.

3. Dengue NS1 (test to detect the non-structural protein of dengue virus).

4. Widal test.

5. Peripheral smear for malaria.

There is nothing to worry about. You will improve after two doses of the correct antibiotic, but we need to find the proper diagnosis first.

Hope this helps. Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|