Q. How can fibromyalgia and neuropathy in hands and feet be treated?

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

I am a 31-year-old female, height 5'3" and 311 lbs. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and also small fiber neuropathy in my hands and feet. I am currently on Gabapentin, Duloxetine, and Meloxicam for my condition. The pain is keeping me up at night and I do not sleep well. Also I cannot stand on my feet for more than 10 minutes before I am in excruciating pain. I have recently started a vegetarian diet and a meditation practice too. Please help.

Do you have a question on Fibromyalgia or Neuropathy?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

B.SC. ., B.A.M.S.., M.D.(AYURVEDA)., C.C.Y.P

I can understand your concern. Fibromyalgia has a condition in which the whole body has pain with fatigue. The patient suffers from difficulty in walking, standing, breathing, etc.

Neuropathy is a condition in which peripheral nervous system gets damaged gradually causing tingling, prickling, burning sensation in hand and feet. As per Ayurveda such kinds of symptoms occur in aggravated Vata Dosa and vitiated Kapha Dosha. So you can go through Ayurvedic management to this issue along with your previous medications.

Infections, degenerative diseases, surgery, traumatic stress physical or mental, autoimmune disease, uncontrolled high blood sugar, unknown etiology, etc.

MRI whole body, serum electrolytes, creatinine kinase, blood pressure, and sugar.

Myopathy, chronic fatigue syndrome, ligaments or tendons injuries.

As per Ayurveda, whole-body external and internal oileation therapy is required. Now you should take the following ayurvedic medicines regularly for one month along with previous medications. Make at least one hour gap between both medicines Ayurvedic and allopathic.
1. Bruhat Vatachintamani Rasa 1 tablet + Rasaraja Rasa 1 tablet twice a day after meals with cow ghee.
2. Guggulu Panchtikta ghrita 1 teaspoon thrice a day before meals.
3. Amritabhallataka leha 1 teaspoon with warm milk before meal.
4. Dhanvantaram tails 101 10 drops with milk before meal.
5. Mahamasha tail for external application only. Apply lukewarm oil to the whole body.

Avoid spicy and fried junk foods.
Quit smoking and drinking if you have these habits.
Avoid cold drinks, soft drinks, ice-cream, tea, coffee, etc.
Do regular kapalbhati Mandukasana suryanamaskara and pranayana like anuloma vilom nadi sodhan and bhramari.

Do these things regularly for one month and provide your valuable feedback after one month.
Further, if you have any queries regarding this concern feel free to revert back.

Hello Doctor, thanks so much for getting back to me. I was trying to find these medicines here in the United States, but unfortunately the Bruhat Vatachintamani Rasa, Rasaraja Rasa, and the Amritabhallataka leha are not able to be shipped to me here due to customs laws. Are there alternatives you might recommend? Thank you.

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Hi, you are most welcome back to icliniq. It's my pleasure to help you.
These medicines as very effective in such kind of issues. Once try to get them at least for one month. Otherwise alternatively you can take
1. Alarsin R - Compound 2tablets thrice a day after meals.
2. Dabur Ashwagandhadi leha 1spoon twice a day before food with warm milk.
3. Baidyanath Dashamularist 15ml twice a day with equal amount of water after meals.

Further if these medicines are also not available there then you should share the available Ayurvedic medicines list. I'll select some Ayurvedic medicines from them as per your issues.

Thank you

Do all the diabetics develop diabetic neuropathy?
Query: Hi doctor, Can you tell me, do all the diabetics develop diabetic neuropathy? My relative is 25 and just got diagnosed with type 2 diabetics. Will she definitely develop neuropathy. Can you also tell me the estimates of the number of diabetics developing it? She is diabetic but is not a BP patient.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Almost all the people having diabetes will sometime during the course of the disease will develop diabetic neuropathy. The reason is damage to microvasculature (small blood vessels supplying the nerves) get affected. Even with fairly well controlled diabetes this doe...  Read Full

Can having Cymbalta lead to no sexual drive in a patient with fibromyalgia?
Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend has fibromyalgia and is currently on Cymbalta and a muscle relaxant. She said she has no desire for sex but it seems she is having sexual dreams. She does not know that she is doing it but it does not make sense to me. When she was on Tramadol, everything was fine unless she...  Read Full >>
Dr. Divya Agarwal
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is possible that she has no desire or she may be fatigued by the fibromyalgia. Drugs like Cymbalta (Duloxetine) act on neurotransmitters and there is a possibility that they affect a person's emotions and desires. Generally, once the drug goes on for some time, the...  Read Full

What is the right dose of Pregabalin in fibromyalgia?
Query: Hello doctor, My sister takes 225 mg Pregabalin for fibromyalgia at 7 PM, but it is not giving any relief from pain. She has severe back pain. We tried another 150 mg at 10 PM and the pain reduced fairly. What is the right dose and at what time it should be given? I am attaching her medicine list fo...  Read Full >>
Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, if that much dose is not effective in fibromyalgia you ought to change it. I understand she is on Quetiapine and also on Effexor (Venlafaxine). I understand that they started it for depression or bipolar disorder. Well, the other drugs you can consider...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now