Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I am struggling with body image and want to become slimmer. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Kiran Lakhani
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 18, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am a 19-year-old female dancer and my weight is 8.5 stone and my height is 5 feet 5 inches. I am currently struggling with issues of body image, being a dancer. I always feel I need to be slimmer than I am and it has got to a point where I feel that I should eat very little and occasionally have made me sick. I also have confidence issues which hold me back with dancing and this happens in everyday life too and I feel scared to talk to someone that I do not know.

Dr. Kiran Lakhani

Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy


Welcome to

I have read your query and I can understand what you are going through.

I am sure you understand it is only your mind which is making you think you need to be thinner. Are you aware that there are many many dancers who are fat, really fat and they dance like a pro and are so flexible? Also, there are many dance forms which require you to have some body fat like the belly dancing.

As you are aware that your body image issue is a big issue and needs attention, if you love yourself, I would request you to go to a psychologist or be very regular here to get the treatment you deserve and get better.

If you decide to write back, please respond to the questions written below. Your answers will help me in understanding your situation better. Since when have you realized you have some issue? What have you done to take care of it? What form of dance do you do? Has anyone told you that your body is not nice?

Revert with more information to a psychologist counselor online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Dr.Sonali Arvind Bhanushali
How can I reduce weight?
I have persistent thoughts of having committed a sexual assault. Please help me.
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.