Q. I am struggling with body image and want to become slimmer. What to do?

Dr. Kiran Lakhani

I am a 19-year-old female dancer and my weight is 8.5 stone and my height is 5 feet 5 inches. I am currently struggling with issues of body image, being a dancer. I always feel I need to be slimmer than I am and it has got to a point where I feel that I should eat very little and occasionally have made me sick. I also have confidence issues which hold me back with dancing and this happens in everyday life too and I feel scared to talk to someone that I do not know.

#

I have read your query and I can understand what you are going through.

I am sure you understand it is only your mind which is making you think you need to be thinner. Are you aware that there are many many dancers who are fat, really fat and they dance like a pro and are so flexible? Also, there are many dance forms which require you to have some body fat like the belly dancing.

As you are aware that your body image issue is a big issue and needs attention, if you love yourself, I would request you to go to a psychologist or be very regular here to get the treatment you deserve and get better.

If you decide to write back, please respond to the questions written below. Your answers will help me in understanding your situation better. Since when have you realized you have some issue? What have you done to take care of it? What form of dance do you do? Has anyone told you that your body is not nice?

Revert with more information to a psychologist counselor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

|