Q. Is it safe to take Flecainide 50 mg for two weeks?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

I am a 30 year old male, who is a competitive athlete. I do not have any structural or plumbing heart issues. I have been diagnosed with WPW accidentally, and I am waiting for an ablation in 17 days. I am mostly asymptomatic, and I never had any extremely rapid heart rates. My resting heart rate is actually in the 40's. However, I do sometimes get palpitations and every once in awhile get a run of 5 to 7 in a row. The EP I saw in the hospital prescribed me Flecainide 50 mg, twice daily. I saw another EP, who was a much older guy, as a second opinion. He seems to think I do not need the Flecainide, and maybe not even the ablation. I do not agree with him on the ablation due to recent medical studies on WPW and how ablation is recommended even for asymptomatic patients, especially athletes.

My question is regarding Flecainide. I have not had any palpitations since I began taking it a few days ago, but I want to make sure this drug is not putting me at risk for creating a dangerous rhythm. Reading case studies and medical journals, it seems there is some risk. I have not been known to go into AF, and besides palpitations, I am asymptomatic with WPW. Do you think Flecainide at this dosage is safe and reasonable for the next two weeks, until my ablation?

#

In WPW (Wolff-Parkinson-White) syndrome, there is a chance of rhythm disturbance, cardiac rate , and it is episodic in nature. I can present as palpitation, but the timing cannot be predicted.

Regarding Flecainide, I do not think you need to continue for next two weeks. But, your cardiologist who will perform this surgery, is the best judge to advise you whether he wants to continue it prophylactically or not.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|