Q. What scan should I do for my abdominal pain if my sodium and chloride levels are low?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I recently had a blood test done for my liver or kidney concerns as I had abdomen pain and bloating. I was fasting for the test. And I was found to have low chloride and sodium. Should I get some scans as the next step?

Thanks.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you had a history of abdominal pain, bloating before six days and undergone liver and renal function tests.

According to the investigation reports, all results are normal, except serum sodium and chloride are slightly lower than normal (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). Your low sodium and chloride levels indicate nothing serious. So, do not be worried regarding lower serum sodium and chloride levels than the normal range.

If you are still suffering from abdominal pain or bloating, I suggest you do an abdominal ultrasound to exclude the causes.

In the meantime, I suggest you take tablet Tiemonium methylsulfate, and prokinetics like Domperidone to subside your present sufferings.

Take care.

|