Q. Is it safe to take Prozac during pregnancy?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

I am on Prozac treatment for two months now for depression and anxiety. I am on the minimum dose (half a pill a day) and I am doing very well to this treatment. However, I just found out I am pregnant. My gynecologist says that I should stop Prozac immediately, but my psychiatrist says keep taking them, as it is a very low dose and it will not harm the baby. My anxiety and panic attacks were quite bad before. Now I am much more relaxed and I am just feeling like a normal person again. What should I do? Should I continue the treatment? Is it safe for the baby? Please help.

#

Congratulations on your good news and I went through your query.

• In my opinion you can continue with Prozac (Fluoxetine) in your case.
  • There are no human studies conducted for Prozac, but animal studies have shown variable effects. There seems to be a mild increase in the incidence of cardiac abnormalities in the baby, of around 2%.
  • But, practically at your dosage and taking the risk versus benefit ratio, it would be better to continue the treatment than to stop it and the risk of having panic attacks and anxiety.
  • Depression is anyway at a peak during pregnancy and there is no point aggravating it by stopping the medicines.
  • In a nutshell, it is not as safe as Paracetamol in pregnancy, but the risk is minimal.
  • I think you should go ahead with it. All the best.

For further doubts consult a childbirth educator online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/childbirth-educator

| 

Will Risperidone and Asprito affect my fetus during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two episodes of psychosis in the past two years. I started treatment with Risperidone and later started Asprito 5 mg. I am getting married after two months. I want to know that if I start a family, will this treatment affect my baby's health as only limited medicines are allowed...  Read Full »

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full »

Is it safe to continue taking the Nexium beyond two weeks while pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am six weeks pregnant. I have struggled with GERD and esophagitis for years and my gastroenterologist put me on Nexium, which is the only thing that helps. I usually do a two-week treatment every year. My pregnancy is exacerbating the GERD. I just finished a two-week Nexium treatment a...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Childbirth Educator Now