Q. I have slow-growing FNH with recent progression. Is there a chance of malignancy?

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

I am suspected for adenoma or FNH slow-growing in 2018 at 1 cm, but now it is 1.9 cm. There has been a change in the results since my last test in January. It is now saying there is a progressive internal washout with a peripheral rim of persistent enhancement.

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

Medical Gastroenterology
#

It looks like to be more suggestive of hepatic adenoma. These new findings still could not make a clear cut diagnosis but still suggestive of an adenoma. Although it is a small mass, but I will suggest weight reduction and avoidance of OCP (oral contraceptive pills).

Keeping your history of a positive tumor of Beta-catenin this adenoma should be observed for enlargement with six monthly and if a persistent increase in size despite of some weight reduction, then it should be resected.

| 

I have never taken oral contraceptives in my life. Do you think it is reasonable to biopsy or do you think there is a slim chance of malignancy? Should I push to have it resected? The tumor formed when I was 50 pounds less actually.

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I think you can wait at the moment as it is growing very slowly so it can be observed with serial ultrasound. Yes, there are slim chances of malignancy in it in the future due to your positive history of beta-catenin. But at the moment, it is very small and just needs serial US (ultrasound) and no need for biopsy.

|