Q. I am losing protein from my urine due to FSGS. Do I need to eat more protein?

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Need diet advice.

I am diagnosed with fsgs. Currently on 40mg of prednisolone daily. I am still having proteinuria. What I want to ask is, since I am losing protein from my urine, do I need to eat more protein to increase my blood albumin levels? I understand that edema occurs because of hypoalbuminemia. Will a diet with more protein help? I am a 90kgmale and my daily protein intake is only around 30grams. My diet is mainly carbohydrates with low sodium levels.

Started my treatment in 3 months back with 60mg of prednisolone daily. Responded very well at first and almost had no more protein in urine when. However, when I tapered my dose down to 30mg daily, it starts to come back. Now the doctor put me back on 40mg of prednisolone and plan to add on another drug called cyclosporine.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

# Hi sir
welcome to icliniq
Actually sir increase protein will risk of increasing in edema. Because your kidney is already not able to take protein and if you add more it will end up with losing more proteins. So better to take moderate type of diet. And everything should be balanced only. You should not take high protein and low carbohydrates. They both should be less only. Eat more veggies. And in case if needed you can ask your doctor to increase the dosage of steroids. So it will control proteinuria.
And steroids are given for long duration in such condition.
So my advice no need to increase more protein in your diet.
Thank you
Would you like to ask anything else?

|