Q. Can taking less Folic acid during pregnancy by Crohn's patient affect baby?

Answered by Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Folic Acid or Crohn's Disease? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have Crohn's disease and am pregnant. The first day of my last period was before 40 days and I have been taking multivitamins which includes 400 micrograms of Folic acid for the past four months. I am now pregnant. The doctor said that I need 5 mg of Folic acid due to the Crohns which I have started from today. No one told me I need more Folic acid than average woman until today and I am now sick with worry. If I had been taking an insufficient amount of Folic acid and caused harm to the baby, then how or when will I know?