Common "Folliculitis" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Folliculitis is a skin condition that results in the inflammation of hair follicles. The symptoms include clusters of white or red bumps around the hair follicle, itchy or burning skin, and the skin becomes tender. This condition is most commonly caused due to infection with the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have folliculitis in my private area and buttocks. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am experiencing severe folliculitis in my private area, particularly between the buttocks, and it has now spread to various areas on my buttocks. Despite attempting multiple topical treatments and taking antibiotics like Keflex 500 mg, Fucibet, and Cephalexin 500 mg, I have not exper...  Read Full »

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have read your query and understand your concern. After reviewing the information and photos (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), you might be dealing with a condition called folliculitis, which is an inflammatory skin condition that occurs when hai...  Read Full »

I suspect of having scalp folliculitis. Can I get a haircut?

Query: Hello doctor, I hope you will read it thoroughly and answer every query. I am a 30-year-old male. It all started with an itchy scalp ten months back this summer. But, I was not concerned much, since it was just itchy and some bumps like mosquito bites (not more than two to three) and some swelling a...  Read Full »

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have checked your photos (attachments removed to protect patient identity). It is better you go for haircut and shave or trim beard. It may be due to folliculitis or fungal infection by the description. You can get it examined by a doctor or dermatologist for physical...  Read Full »

Are the blisters in the neck and buttock suggest a chlamydia infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39-year-old male. I had a body to body massage with a girl before three years and I had a chlamydia infection. I had some blisters near my bladder and I took antibiotics Azithromycin 1 g, Cefixime 400 mg, and Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for 14 days. I took these medicines under ...  Read Full »

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The boils in the buttocks or neck appear due to folliculitis. Avoid friction or irritation or applying pressure in these areas. Avoid trimming the hair too short. Clean the area gently with warm water. You can try using topical antibiotic creams like Fucidin (Fusidic ac...  Read Full »

Why do I have anal pain when I sit, lift things, or walk?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had pain in my anal area for less than a week. It hurts every time I sit down, lift something, squat down, or walk. I have a previous history of dust allergy and hay fever. I have used the tablet Cetirizine in the past. Kindly advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thank you for the query. I understand your concern. You have an inflamed pus lesion in the anal area. It may be due to folliculitis. Do you have any issues related to passing stools? I suggest the below steps. Avoid wearing tight clothes. Wear loose inner wears. Avoi...  Read Full »

My pubis is dry with white flakes. Is that a sign of STD?

Query: Hello doctor, My pubic area is white, flaky and dry. I was prescribed a lotion last month for folliculitis bumps and it went away. Now this problem persists. I got tested for STD two months ago, everything was fine.  Read Full »

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to It is not clear about your age, the exact morphology, duration, symptoms, treatment taken, etc. Can you please send the photos and details so that we can get the real picture of the rash? It is good that you have been tested negative for STDs (sexually transmitted dis...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.