Q. My 7-month-old baby lost her weight after stopping formula milk. Kindly suggest food plan.

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Published on Jan 23, 2020

We have a baby of 7 months old. I would like to mention the previous history here. My wife does not have breast milk so she cannot feed it. We are offering NanPro-I to the baby. She is very active and smiling all day. Doctor told to start solid to her with cow's milk. Doctor offered a schedule as below, give her mashed rice once a day and cow milk and Nanpro as well.

But now we found that her weight is lost by 10 gm compared to the last 15 days weight. Her weight as of now is 6.315 kg which was earlier 6.325 kg (15 days back).

My wife has reduced her Nanpro almost all (around 60-90 ml per day is given to the baby) and started feeding her with cow milk for the whole day from the last three days and from the last three days baby is having a very solid stool. She also had pain while doing that. She is also getting irritated for the past three days. Why?

We need your guidance. Is it correct to reduce Nanpro while increasing cowmilk? Do we still need to continue Nanpro? How to deal with this solid stool which is giving her pain? She does not have blood or something in the stool but she is having pain while doing it. We are worried about her weight loss as well.

Can you please guide us for her food so that it will suit her with weight gain and no pain?

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Your baby is now 7-month-old, now you can give her food other than milk also. But it should be offered in a way your baby will accept. I mean to say you have to give semi-solid food because your baby cannot chew enough to digest solid foods and some time is needed to get adjusted for both baby and mother. This is the time when feeding difficulty starts. So do not worry.

You can offer your baby semisolid foods like mashed rice in milk, porridge made of rice, ragi, etc, mashed potato, and banana. Add more milk to make it less thick. You can offer food six to eight times in a day once or twice overnight (milk for three to four times and semisolid foods rest of the schedule). Give in small quantities at each time gradually start introducing more solid food over the next four to five months.

About which milk to use: you can use any type of milk usually what the family consumes add one spoon sugar to 10 spoon milk and feed with a spoon. Never use a feeding bottle, if you have a habit of bottle feeding. Please stop it and never use again.

You can add ghee or butter to semisolid foods which will increase the calorie content of food and also make it tasty. Once your child starts accepting these things you can slowly come down on the quantity of milk and change the menu accordingly.

About formulas Nanpro, there is no harm using it, but you have a lot of other options from homemade foods itself. Do not worry, your baby will gain back the weight.

I hope I have addressed all your issues.

| 

Can Glycerin suppository be used twice a week for a 2-month-old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2 month old daughter started passing stool irregularly, from the past eight days. She was passing a lot of gas, but it did not smell. Seeing no improvement, we took her to the pediatrician, who said she had gas in her stomach. So, he gave her Decolic, Neopeptine, and Glycerin suppo...  Read Full »

Though my baby is exclusively breastfed, why does he fail to thrive?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby was born at 37 weeks due to growth restriction. His weight was 5 lbs 3 oz. He was in NICU for seven days due to low blood sugar. He is 7 months old and weight 11 lbs 6 oz. He had reflux issues and lip and tongue tie. It was fixed at two months. The reflux was fine after 5 months o...  Read Full »

What foods can my 6-month-old baby eat?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby has turned 6 months today. For the last 20 days, I have been giving her ragi and half a banana. Now that she is 6 months old, what cereals, vegetables, and fruits can I give her? Can I give her rice? Can I give her ghee and curd?  Read Full »