Q. My wife is having stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting after eating some old food. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My wife, who is 58 years old, is suffering from stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting for the past two days. Yesterday night she ate one-day-old refrigerated food after heating, but I think that resulted in food poisoning her. I have given her tablet Cyclopam for stomach pain and tablet Emeset to stop vomiting. She cannot take any solid food, and even after taking some liquid, she is also vomiting. I have also given her Electrolyte liquid, but she is vomiting. She is taking Nebicard 5 mg for high blood pressure. Can you please suggest a suitable medicine and further instructions for her? Regards.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I can understand you must be very concerned about her. Well, as you rightly pointed out that she has had food poisoning because of that food. This acute food poisoning should settle itself by day or two, but symptom-based treatment is required to help her go through this tough time. You have rightly given her Emeset, which is Ondansetron and is good at controlling vomiting. Please give her 16 mg now and then 8 mg three times daily. If she cannot take it and continuously throw up, I recommend that she receive this in intravenous form instead of at least one to two doses of 8 mg Ondansetron. Cyclopam (Paracetamol and Dicyclomine) is not suitable in her case since she has predominant stomach pain, not diarrhea. Tablet Ondansetron (Emeset) is a powerful medication. Still, in the current state, when she is throwing up everything, I am afraid that she should be given by intravenous route.

It would also help if you gave her capsule Esomeprazole 40 mg now and half hour before meals once she can take diet. Keep her on liquid for now, including fresh fruit juices to maintain her caloric requirement. I hope this will help her to control her symptoms.

Acute food poisoning.
Bacillus cereus induced food poisoning.

Nothing for now.

As stated above.

|