Food Stuck In Throat

I feel that something is stuck in my throat after eating. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,After I ate something, I am getting a feeling (maybe real) that something is stuck in my throat. I drank a lot of water, but it is still there. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1) Generally, small pieces of food stuck in the throat will dissolve on their own by being exposed to saliva from mouth. You can wait for this to happen if the symptom is not troublesome. Chewing gums or lozenges increase salivary production. 2) Since the symptom is...  Read Full »

Why do I feel like something is stuck in my throat?

Query: Hello doctor,I feel as if there is something stuck or moving in my throat around the back of the mouth to the Adam's apple. It has been bothering me for a few days. There is no pain associated with it, just the feeling as if something is moving up and down my throat. It goes down if I swallow, and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

Family Physician, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A foreign body sensation or a feeling of something stuck in the throat is a very common complaint. There are so many causes like acid reflux, pharyngitis and allergic rhinitis that could cause the feeling. I suggest: You take tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg on an ...  Read Full »

There is something stuck in my throat that causes vomiting. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel something in the back of my throat making me puke. It has been two days and the doctor says it is just irritated from my vomiting the previous day but it feels like a hair is there and I feel it moves sometimes. It sits there. I know it is there but I cannot handle it, then it ...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Throat is highly sensitive and anything causing irritation can be annoying. Foreign body sensations in throat may be subjective or there can be some pathology causing it. Inflammation of structures in throat like uvula, tonsils or posterior pharyngeal wall can cause fo...  Read Full »

How to get reassured that I do not have stomach cancer?

Query: Hi doctor,I will be honest and say this is primarily for reassurance from a fear of esophageal and stomach cancer as I suffer very badly from chronic hypochondriasis, for which I am getting treatment for in the form of CBT and on Venlafaxine 225 mg. I am a 43 year old male. I was a social smoker ti...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms require evaluation as this could be simply gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), which can cause reflux and stucking of food. Since your endoscopy and biopsy reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are concerned, they are all n...  Read Full »

When can a person have change in voice and breathing difficulty?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old female. I smoke but I have no medical history. I do take medicines for depression. About 2 months ago, I started to lose my voice. Otherwise, I felt fine. I do not have a history of losing my voice, so I assumed I must have picked up a virus. My voice slowly continued t...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have developed change in voice followed by difficulty in swallowing and also difficulty in breathing. Being a chronic smoker and the gradually progressive symptoms for a period of two months with an episode acute respiratory distress, I suggest you to visit ER (em...  Read Full »

I have a feeling of lump in the throat but scan shows nothing. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a feeling of a lump in my throat for over a month with a feeling of trouble swallowing. There is no pain and I can get food down but it feels like it takes more time to get the food down. I went to a hospital and they did a CAT scan of my throat and said there are no tumors...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Swallowing is a process which starts at the mouth and ends at the stomach. CT scan for your throat just investigates the pharynx and the upper esophagus. You have to investigate the whole track. A barium swallow is so helpful as it can detect strictures and masses a...  Read Full »

I observed a white round swelling in my mouth. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I observed a white round swelling at the right rear of my mouth cavity behind the last tooth. Also a white straight line behind my uvula. Sometimes I feel that something is stuck there in my throat. No other symptoms.  Read Full »

Dr. Dorina Sokol Gurabardhi

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms can be related to many diagnoses. A picture if possible would help. It can be a yeast infection, a viral or a bacterial infection. I suggest you do some examinations such as a throat culture and a blood test. Meanwhile, some tips: Gargle with salt...  Read Full »

Can unprotected sex for a minute cause HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex with an unknown woman hardly for a minute about a month back. After about four days, I got cold and a kind of sore throat, but not exactly sore throat. I got tested for HIV after 15 days and it came back negative. Now, for the past one week, I have a feeling of so...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Physician, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Preventive Medicine Physician, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The chance of transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) by single unprotected intercourse with a HIV positive person is 1/200 to 1/1000. It is very low. She may be negative, so she might have asked it. Probably, the test done was antibodies tests. It is considere...  Read Full »

Why do I have excess mucus in throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49 year old male. I have a constant problem of excess mucus in throat. I feel as my food pipe is inflamed. I cannot eat anything. Whenever I eat something this mucus problem gets aggravated. What disease is this? And how to get it treated? Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am trying to understand your problem with the limited symptoms you have provided. Excess mucus in throat can be due to constant irritation in oral pharynx or mucus of nose coming in throat called as post-nasal drip. Now a days laryngopharyngeal reflux disease (LPR...  Read Full »