Q. I feel discomfort and a stuck feeling after swallowing a vitamin tablet. What should I do?

I think I swallowed a vitamin down the wrong pipe. I took several vitamins. One of which might have gone down the wrong pipe. I felt discomfort so I started drinking water to help it go down. Then I still feel like it was stuck so I forced myself to throw up and one of the vitamins came out. I am not sure if there is anymore stuck in there. I have a little discomfort in my chest but I cannot tell if it is because I am freaking out about it. I can breathe just fine. What should I do?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Did you have any coughing or choking sensation during the consumption of tablets? It is unlikely to have gone in any wrong pipe, as there are only two pipes, one is respiratory and the other is a food pipe.

If it has not gone into respiratory then it must have gone into food pipe only. However, it is possible that it was stuck in some of the pouches at the back of the throat during the passage, which is not worrisome. Also, if any solids or tablets are consumed with inadequate water then it may irritate the food pipe and give the sensation of being stuck which will go away after some time.

| 

So you do not think that it went into my lungs? There was no choking involved. I just continued drinking water to try to get the vitamins to go down. And then I kept feeling discomfort in my chest so I forced myself to throw up and I saw one vitamin come up.

#

Yes, it unlikely to have gone into the lungs. This was probably stuck in the esophagus. It came out on throwing up but not on coughing, so I suggest it was into the esophagus only. So it does not seem worrisome.

Just remember to drink adequate water with tablets and take one by one, rather than together.

| 

So the discomfort I am experiencing on the right side of my chest is from the pill getting stuck in the esophagus? You do not think I have a silent pill aspiration?

#

Yes, it is likely due to esophageal irritation. It is not a silent pill aspiration. Pill aspiration would cause severe cough, choking, etc.

|