Q. I feel something is stuck in my throat, and I have a history of GERD. Please help.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Hi, I have a problem in throat for the last one month, Initially, i have a stomach problem, so i Just start Stomach relief medicine, like Rebicid and Gavascone Syrup. I feel better after some days and now my stomach is good, but i have a problem in the throat, i feels like some thing stuck in my throat and it irritate me a lot and i am feeling this for the last one months, i was feeling good after 10 days and 10 days of the middle of month was good and i was not feeling something stuck feeling, but after 10 days again i am feeling that something stuck in my throat, and it irritate me a lot and sometimes i lose body energy and i feel weakness and also a little fever.

I have a history of Depression and Anxiety, i was taking anxiety and depression medication for 5-6 years approximately 10 years ago. For the last 10 years i am not taking any anxiety and depression medication. i have a stomach problem GERD but i was okay for the last 2-3 years. Now again i have a GERD problem, i think due to this i have a throat problem that i am feeling that something struck in my throat.

Please advise me what should i do, due to COVID 19 i have no facility to check the ENT specialist, i will be very thankful

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Your prediction is almost as right as what I am also considering.

The most common reason of having this irritation in throat with a feeling of lump or something obstructing while swallowing can definelty be a feature of chronic GERD. Eve though you might asymptomatic in between, the inflammation in the throat often exists in the hidden form and can resurface when adequate care is not taken.

What can be done? (these precautionary measures have to followed for life since your chronically have gastric issues)

1. Maintain a strict diet, eating on time 2. avoid spicy oily and cold food/drinks 3. Keep a gap of 2 hrs between meals and going to bed 4. Don't over eat, rather keep your stomach half empty and have regular intermittent light food like fresh cut fruits in between major meals. 5. Salt water gargling 8 to 10 times a day for 15 days 6. Follow the prescription as adviced and you can come for a follow up consultation after 2 weeks

Tab pan d 40 MG once in the morning before bfast for 14 days
Syp mucaine gel 1 tsp three times a day 20mins before meals for 14 days

|