Q. I feel something is stuck in my throat, and I have a history of GERD. Please help.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 27, 2021

I have a problem with the throat for the last one month. Initially, I had a stomach problem, so I just started with stomach relief medicine, like Rabecid and Gaviscon syrup. I feel better after some days, and now my stomach is good, but I have a problem in the throat. I feel like something is stuck in my throat, and it irritates me a lot, and I am feeling this for the last month. I was feeling good after ten days and ten days of the middle of the month was good, but after ten days again I feel that something stuck in my throat, and it irritates me a lot, and sometimes I lose body energy, and I feel weak and also a slight fever. I have a history of depression and anxiety, and I was taking anxiety and depression medication for 5 to 6 years, approximately ten years ago. For the last ten years, I am not taking any anxiety and depression medication. I have a stomach problem GERD, but I was okay for the last 2 to 3 years. Now again, I have a GERD problem, and I think due to this, I have a throat problem that I feel that something is stuck in my throat.

Please advise me what I should do. Due to COVID-19, I have no facility to check the ENT specialist. I will be very thankful.

#

Your prediction is almost as right as what I am also considering.

The most common reason for having this irritation in the throat with a feeling of a lump or something obstructing while swallowing can definitely be a feature of chronic GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Even though you might be asymptomatic in between, the inflammation in the throat often exists in the hidden form and can resurface when adequate care is not taken.

What can be done? (these precautionary measures have to follow for life since you chronically have gastric issues)

1. Maintain a strict diet, eating on time.

2. Avoid spicy oily and cold food or drinks.

3. Keep a gap of two hours between meals and going to bed.

4. D not overeat, rather keep your stomach half empty and have regular intermittent light food like fresh-cut fruits in between major meals.

5. Saltwater gargling 8 to 10 times a day for 15 days.

6. Follow the prescription as advised, and you can come for a follow-up consultation after two weeks.

Tablet Pan D 40 mg once in the morning before breakfast for 14 days.
Syrup Mucaine gel 1 tsp three times a day 20 minutes before meals for 14 days.

|