Q. I have a feel of something stuck in the throat after eating bread. Why?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

I was eating wheat bread sandwich last night. After eating, I felt like something was stuck on my throat. I slept on it and the next day, I still feel that something is stuck like a knife feel. I am currently on Effexor 3 mg and Mirtazapine 7.5 mg.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The bread could have caused injury to the posterior pharyngeal wall or larynx. Can you send me a picture of your throat?

| 

I have attached the file.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Your throat seems to be fine in the picture. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You must, however, understand that we can see only the oropharynx part. Sometimes when the rough bread crumbs passed down they could have caused mild abrasions in the pharyngeal wall further down, say at the level of laryngopharynx which is just above the voice box. This cannot be visualized easily. It can be visualized only after laryngoscopy for which you will have to visit a hospital.

Considering your age and education level, I believe nothing will be stuck there. Most people with such small tears or abrasions will present with pricking pain only. Trust me the same will resolve soon. Give it a couple of days. Follow these measures and it will get better.

Take tablet Esomeprazole 40 mg one tablet before breakfast for five days (brand names are Peprazom 40 or Nexium 40), syrup Muciane or Velusil MPS, two teaspoons after each meal and SOS for one week.

Avoid dry and hot foods. Avoid spicy and oily foods. Avoid masala in cooking. Drink plenty of water. Avoid smoke, alcohol, soda, etc., for a week.

|