Q. Do cashewnuts contain cholesterol?

Dr. Vishal Wadi

I want to know if all types of nuts like cashew nuts, pistachio, and pine nuts have fat in them or cholesterol. I mean, are they good for health?

#

Nuts do not contain cholesterol. Cholesterol is only found in animal foods like meat, poultry, fish, milk and milk products. Nuts have unsaturated essential fats which the body cannot make on its own. Hence consumption of all types of nuts in moderation provides healthy fats like omega-3 and fat-soluble vitamin E (which works as an antioxidant). Nuts do not cause weight gain.

For more information consult a dietician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

I have fatty liver and little high iron acid. Also, my cholesterol is on borderline. My weight is 98 kg and height is 5 feet 7 inches. Can you suggest me what diet should I follow? Can I consume chicken in grilled form?

#

You should be avoiding all kinds of non-vegetarian, eggs, and milk products. Animal food is not easy to metabolize by the liver. Hence, it leads to fatty liver.

Also, you should avoid all processed food like biscuits, bread, sandwich, pizza, burger, salty snacks, ice-cream, cake, soft drinks, etc.

Have white sugar not more than three spoons, cooking oils, not more than one spoon and salt not more than half a spoon per day.

Have fruits, salads or steamed veggies, sprouts, nuts and seeds (at least one serving of each) daily without worrying about proteins or fats. With this you will reduce weight as well as fatty liver will improve. All the best.

Can I eat roti? I mean two chapatis in the morning and evening. I am eating a lot of chicken thinking it will make me lose weight. Especially chicken sandwich in brown bread and lately I have been prediabetic also. So, I have stopped eating sugar.

#

You can have chapatis. Try to have mix-grain chapatis. But have more vegetable curries with chapatis (for every chapati have 1.5 times vegetables).

Please stop chicken and bread (all types of bread are unhealthy, irrespective of its color. They contain sugar, salt, vegetable oil, and 2/3rd refined flour). Avoiding white sugar is fine.

Can I take skinless chicken breast in small quantities or should I completely avoid it? And what about egg whites?

#

Looking into your condition they are not advised. Because with fatty liver and cholesterol you will not be able to digest animal protein well. Animal proteins cause insulin resistance which is the reason for higher blood sugar levels.

Still, if you want to have, do not have more than once a week.

| 

I have high cholesterol and a fatty liver. Please suggest a diet chart.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old male, who has high cholesterol and a fatty liver. In our home, we use groundnut oil for cooking, and I use up to six teaspoons of ghee every day. I consume alcohol twice a day. But now, I have decided to stop alcohol and follow a strict diet. Tell me a diet that I sh...  Read Full »

What is the risk of high triglycerides?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having high triglycerides around 250 to 500, but very low LDL around 30 to 45 for the last five years. Kindly help. What should I do? I swim five days a week for 20 minutes daily. I am currently on tablet vitamin B12 and Zinc supplement. I have also attached my laboratory reports.  Read Full »

What should I do to concentrate in my studies?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a student. When I sit for study, I just start feeling distractions from small noises and things. Most of the time, I go to imaginations of things I want to create and sometimes, I suddenly start daydreaming about different kinds of thoughts. Sometimes, I start to remember about pa...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Dietician Now