Q. How much should I eat in a day to gain weight healthily?

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 26, 2021

I am writing an inquiry regarding my weight. I am an 18-year-old female with a weight of 42 kilograms and a height of five feet. I am having this weight from 13 years of age. My weight remains only around 40 kilograms. I do not eat a lot because I do not feel hungry. On some days, I eat meals for a full day. There are some days where I will eat three meals including snacks. Even after taking food a lot for some days, my weight remains the same. My friend takes food less than I take. But she is healthy in terms of weight. I am concerned as I remain below my average age group in terms of weight and I am not sure what to do. How to gain weight in a healthy manner?

#

You are quite underweight. It is the right time to start working to gain weight. Eat more fatty foods than you usually eat. Try to eat more potatoes and rice. It has vegetable starch that seems to be undigested. You can take a banana milkshake or eat two bananas with milk daily. Cream and milk products are extremely healthy and it helps in gaining weight. Try to eat small meals every three hours a day. Take four to five meals with fruits as they help to absorb necessary vitamins. Do not compare yourself with others as they do not have exact genes. You should be able to eat a bowl of fruits with water for one to two meals a day. Try to have this habit of eating and you will notice a good change.

|