Q. How much should I eat in a day to gain weight healthily?

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha
Hello, I am writing an enquiry regarding my weight. I am a 18year old female and I weigh 42.8kg and my height is 158-160cm. I have been this weight since I was around 13 years old, my weight has always been around 40kg I was wondering how I could gain weight in a healthy manner. The main reason why I do not eat a lot is that I am not hungry so on some days I eat one meal in a full day, however, there are some days where I will eat 3 meals including snacks, however even on those days, even if I feel as if I have had a lot of food, my weight remains the same. I am concerned as I have realised that I am well below my average age group in terms of weight and I am not sure what to do, also I am not sure how much I should eat in a day because when I ask people around me I realise they eat less than me but maintain a healthy weight so I am really unsure how to approach my problem. Thank you

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

# Hello and welcome to icliniq. It is clear you're quite underweight but the good news is that it's the right time now to start working on it for your age. This can be helped by eating more fatty foods than you usually eat such as potatoes and rice which have vegetable starch that goes undigested. You should also have a banana milkshake or eat 2 bananas with milk daily. Cream and other milk products are extremely healthy and quite helpful in gaining weight such as cheese. Try to eat small meals every 3 hours a day so catch up with 4-5 small meals including fruits as they help you absorb necessary vitamins. Don't compare anything with others since they don't have the exact same genes that you have and yours are unique. You should be able to eat a bowl of fruits which mostly have water for 1-2 meal a day atleast. Try to get a habit of eating this way and you will notice a good change.

|