Q. Can you suggest a diet plan to reduce my weight and achieve pregnancy?

Dr. Durga Kumari
Published on Sep 19, 2017

I am a 29 year old housewife. I am suffering from infertility since I got married seven years ago. I have PCOD, tubal block, and hypothyroidism. I am overweight. All the treatments we took for conception failed. I was advised to reduce my weight by at least 10 %. But, I am unable to lose even a few kilos. I am ready with my blood reports to start my diet. It looks like the cholesterol, HsCRP, fasting glucose and insulin levels are on the higher side. I need an advice from you. Now, in this situation, my first goal is to reduce my weight and achieve pregnancy. Kindly suggest me a remedy.

Dr. Durga Kumari

Dietician Nutritionist
#

Please do not get scared about your weight. You can reduce it easily by following a good diet plan and with normal walking. I am sending you a diet chart. Please follow it and be in touch with me for the follow-up.

• Foods to be included are:
  1. Fish like salmon (Saiman), tuna, and sardines (Pedwe) contain omega-3 fatty acids. They help reduce inflammation, improve immunity and lower the risk of heart diseases. Ans, due to the selenium content, they improve the functions of the thyroid gland.
  2. Nuts like groundnut, almond, cashew nuts, pistachios are also a good source of selenium.
  3. Fruits and vegetables such as tomatoes, sweet potatoes, cherries, carrot, cucumber, onion, and beetroot, etc.
  4. Whole grains (gluten-free) like brown rice, oatmeal, arrowroot, ragi (millets), corn, etc.
  5. Dairy products like milk, yogurt, curd, cheese, paneer, etc. contain vitamin D and other nutrients like iodine, protein, and calcium but should be taken in moderation.
  6. Beans like rajma (kidney bean), toor dal (pigeon pea), peas, masoor dal (red lentils), moong dal (green gram), lobia (black-eyed beans), etc. are sources of energy that contains antioxidants, proteins, complex carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals.
  • Foods to be avoided are:
  1. Soy products such as soybean, tofu, soymilk, and soy paneer inhibit the functions of the enzyme that forms the thyroid hormone and implicated in delayed ovulation.
  2. Vegetables such as cabbages, broccoli, and cauliflower.
  3. Gluten containing foods such as wheat, bread, barley, etc. Gluten can irritate the small intestine and hinder the absorption of thyroid hormones.
  4. Fried and processed foods like french fries, chips, fried chicken, butter, margarine, mayonnaise, cookies, cakes, pasta, and bread.
  5. Sugary foods and alcohol like sweets, sugar, candy, chocolates, brandy, beer, whiskey, cold drinks, etc.
  • Daily diet chart (1400 kcal)
  1. Upon waking at 6:00 AM: lukewarm water (one to two glasses).
  2. Walking and exercises or Yoga for one hour.
  3. 7:30 AM: dry fruits (two tablespoons) or sprouts (30 g), lemon tea (one cup).
  4. Breakfast at 8:30 AM: idli (two numbers) or upma (one bowl) or oats and milk (1 bowl) or cornflakes (one and a half bowl) or dosa (two numbers) with chutney or sambhar (one bowl), milk (100 ml) or egg white (one number).
  5. Mid-morning snack at 11:00 AM: buttermilk (100 ml) or coconut water (100 ml) or fruits (one number) or vegetable salad (one plate) or sprouts (one plate).
  6. Lunch at 12:30 PM: rice (one and a half of a small cup), dal (1 cup) and salads (half plate) and vegetables (1 bowl) + curd (yogurt) (50 ml).
  7. Evening snack at 3:00 PM: roasted poha (half a plate) or roasted chana (40 g) or fruit (one number) or Marie biscuit (two numbers), lemon tea (one cup).
  8. Dinner at 8:30 PM: rice (half bowl) or dosa (two numbers), sabzi (vegetable gravy) (one bowl), salad (one plate).
  9. Bed time: skimmed milk (150 ml) with one teaspoon of flaxseed.
  • Note: two hours gap is must between dinner and bedtime.
  • Consult me after 15 days by hotline or 100 hours.

For further queries consult a dietician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

Thank you for your reply.

Dr. Durga Kumari

Dietician Nutritionist
#

• Be in touch with me to maintain the diet and lose weight efficiently as there will be frequent changes in the diet.

Happy losing. Stay healthy.

Revert to a dietician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

I have PCOD from the last 10 years. Please suggest a permanent cure.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25, married and sexually active. I suffered from PCOD for a while, took all sorts of allopathic and homeopathic medicines and when I got scanned two months ago, PCOD was not found. I thought this is the end of my problem but, still, my periods are irregular. Last time, I was la...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that PCOD is not diagnosed by ultrasound.Kindly get thyroid profile, serum androsterone test, serum prolactin, serum testosterone, free androgen index, serum insulin, and fasting blood sugar test done.Start doing six sets of Surya Namaskar every day.Follow ...  Read Full

Causes of Male Infertility

Article Overview: This article tells the various reasons for male infertility. Read Article

In about 35 to 52 percent of childless couples, the male partner is the cause for infertility. This percentage is increasing in number nowadays because of the changes in the lifestyle of most of the males. Many men consume alcohol occasionally, increased smoking rate among young people, physical in...  Read Article

Suffering from PCOD and taking medicines, but still it has not reduced. Can you help ?

Query: Dear Doctor, I am a 29 year old female suffering from PCOD, taking medicines from past 1 year. But still it has not reduced. I was into Metformin and Folic acid. At the same time I have also taken medicines for conception (i.e, clomiphene). Follicar study has been conducted for four times and only ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Metformin is a very effective medicine in PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) treatment. It reduces weight, increases sensitivity to insulin and decreases androgen level. All these effects are helpful in the treatment of PCOD. But as you say it is not effective in your ...  Read Full

Ask a Dietician Now