Q. Can anxiety cause foot drop and twitches in the body?

Answered by Dr. Hitesh Kumar and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Foot Drop or Anxiety? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Can anxiety cause foot drop and twitches in the body?

I am a 26 year old female, and I developed foot drop five weeks ago, the foot was numb, and I could not dorsiflex it. But, now I can dorsiflex, and the steppage gait has disappeared unless I walk long distances. I have more power in the foot now, but it is still a lot weaker than the other one, I cannot walk on my heels yet. However, I have been extremely anxious about this foot drop, and a couple of weeks ago I started to twitch, first in the legs and then all over my body, I can see the twitches. When I am talking with someone and thinking about something else, the twitches go away and come back when I think about it. I do feel weak in my body, especially in the legs. Can it be due to the anxiety? I am going to a neurologist, but there is a three months waiting period, and I am scared. I do not think we have had any ALS in my family. Please help me ease my mind.