Q. My mom has a blister on foot with itching and watering. What is that?

Dr. Snehal Laul

My mother is 49 years old. She is having blister kind of thing appearing laterally on her left foot, followed by itching, and release of water for the past two to three months. She did not take any medications for the same until now. Besides this, she is a patient of thyroid disorder for 20 years and is under Thyronorm 50 mg for the same.

#

It is foot eczema with skin peeling. Use Fucidin cream twice daily for 10 days, Emoderm cream at daytime for 20 days, and Calosoft lotion after bath for 10 days.

Take tablet Zifi (Cefixime) 200 mg twice daily for five days, tablet Emanzen D (Serratiopeptidase and Diclofenac sodium) twice daily for three days (if pain).

Is she a diabetic? Excess contact with water? Any history of atopy or allergies, autoimmune diseases, or vesiculobullous disorders in the past? Any similar episode in the past? Excess scratching and rubbing of lesion? Any chronic illness, fever, or oozing? Any drug history or drug allergies in the past? Injury or trauma at the site? Please reply.

She does not have diabetes and no excess contact with water with negative history for all except occasional allergic to painkillers.

#

Avoid provoking or triggering factors. Avoid drugs that cause reactions like painkillers, morphine, codeine, Ibuprofen (Brufen), Combiflam, Penicillin, Enalapril which cause generalized pruritus. Identify and remove the trigger factor.

Use antihistamine tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg twice daily for seven days will help in reducing itching. Ensure proper hygiene and avoidance of application of irritants. Avoid scratching or rubbing lesions in as it may cause secondary bacterial infection.

Use Fucidin (Fusidic acid) cream twice daily for 10 days (morning and evening), Emoderm cream at afternoon (on dry skin) for 20 days. Take tablet Zifi 200 mg twice daily for five days (if oozing present or bacterial infection). Apply Calamine lotion for a soothing effect on skin.

| 

Cellulitis

Article Overview: Cellulitis is a bacterial infection affecting the skin. Read this article to know more about the causes, symptoms, and risk factors. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What Is Cellulitis? Cellulitis is a potentially serious bacterial infection of the skin, which includes the subcutaneous tissue, fat, and the soft tissue layer. The other name for cellulitis is Phlegmon. It first appears as an area that is hot to touch and is red and swollen. Cellulitis can occur a...  Read Article

I have an itchy and swollen rash that leaks straw-colored liquid. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have had the rash for about a week and taken antihistamines. I saw a pharmacist today who said she had never seen something like this before so I was sent to a minor injuries unit who told me to come back in two days if it had not gone. It leaks straw colored liquid and is very itchy ...  Read Full »

Chickenpox: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis, and Vaccine

Article Overview: Chickenpox, also called varicella, is a common childhood infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus. Read about its causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
General Medicine Physician

What Is Chickenpox? Chickenpox is a common childhood viral disease that develops in persons not previously exposed to chickenpox, not vaccinated against chickenpox, and in recent contact with persons having chickenpox or shingles. Although it is more common in children from 5 to 12 years of age, it...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»