Q. Why did my doctor suggest a fiberglass cast for eight to ten weeks after a foot fusion surgery?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

I am 45-years-old male. I had a foot fusion surgery of the first metatarsal and a bunionectomy together before six weeks. Everything is progressing well, and the x-rays also showed good progress. Everything I read states I can go into a boot at six weeks. But the doctor is advising me to have a fiberglass cast for eight to ten weeks. I want to understand the standard protocol for this procedure better and if my doctor is too conservative?

Kindly help.

#

Kindly send your x-ray to help you better.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

I have attached the picture of my x-ray as I do not have the x-ray film with me.

kindly help.

#

Thanks for sending your x-ray (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

But there is no standard protocol. Though a protocol is defined in the literature, it changes according to the experience and confidence of the fixation of the operating surgeon.

I usually keep such cases in a cast for six weeks with toe-touch weight-bearing for the next six weeks. After that, partial weight-bearing and then gradually full weight-bearing. I do not give plaster after six weeks as I feel it makes the ankle joint stiff.

So, I would suggest you follow the instructions of your operating surgeon and trust him. He wants you to be fully functional as soon as possible. The fixation is good, and he is trying to be extra cautious.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

So, after six weeks you would put them in a boot with toe-touch and weight-bearing. Would you allow the patient to remove the boot during night?

Thanks a lot.

#

I do not give boot. I make them to exercise their ankle to avoid stiffness. I extend plaster cast for more than six weeks in few cases where I feel the fixation is not good or bone quality is not good.

|