Q. I experience sharp pain in my left foot after running. Do I have a fracture?

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel

I have recently taken up running. At the very end of my run four days ago, when I had stopped running and walking home, I started experiencing very sharp pain on the outside edge of my left foot. The pain was not in my ankle or the top of my foot, just the very outside on the edge of my foot. For the following days, I rested, iced, and taped it up with KT tape and wore a fracture boot to relieve it from any pressure. Today, I went for a very light, short walk, and I am back to square one. The pain has come right back, slightly worse than it was, to begin with. The pain completely subsides the moment when I remove any weight from it or sit down. Would this indicate a stress fracture or peroneal tendonitis, or something else? What can I do to fix it?

#

I think firstly you should give some rest to the joint. Wait for three days for the inflammation to subside. You may have developed a sprain. In these three days, use a crepe bandage and do hot water fomentation.

After three days, see if the pain has come down. If it has not, we might need an x-ray to rule out the osteopathology.

In case after three days the pain comes down, then start first little warm-up for ankle and then start slow walks. Also, make a point to check your shoes, because if they have any problem, it might lead to pain again. Also, I would like to know if you have flat feet?

Is it better to apply heat rather than ice? I do not have flat feet. I will check my shoes. Would you recommend a gel insole?

#

It will be good to use the gel insole as it will act as a shock absorbent. It will also be kind if you can share some images of your feet and an edited picture of the pain's location. It will help me assist you better. But for the time being, avoid walking and jogging. It appears that this kind of pain has come at such a young age. We need to step wise for the rehabilitation plan.

|