Foreign Body Inhalation

Will inhaling dust material at work place likely to cause health problems?

Query: Hello doctor, Years ago I worked as an apprentice in a smash repairer. Mostly I was wet, sanding primer coats and sanding filler flat. This was 20 years ago, and I have not worked in this field since. While doing this I never wore a mask, no one in the shop did that, except the painter when he was...  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a health hazard upon exposure of such inhalational dust materials for short term exposure (up to 6 months), it can produce allergic rhinitis, cough, and sputum. On long term exposure, it may produce cough, wheezing, nasal stuffiness, fever, blood in sputum, ...  Read Full »

Will inhaling a fly cause respiratory illness?

Query: Hi doctor, My 27 year old son inhaled a fly. He is in good health with no respiratory distress. Will it get trapped in the cilia of the bronchial tree and end up causing illness?  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that he has no associated respiratory distress after inhaling the fly. Nothing major can happen since his breathing is fine. It is very unlikely that the fly may go into airway as there is a protective mechanism at the throat level. Hence, the fly...  Read Full »

Do I need to be concerned about the short-term silica exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about crystalline silica dust exposure. I am a firefighter, and I decided to make some repairs to my helmet with high heat furnace cement. Over the past week, I have been sanding the repairs. I was unaware of the inhalation danger of silica dust. I have been wearing a...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Yes, you had silica exposure, but it will not be considered as a high-risk exposure. The frequency of exposure was not much so probably it will not cause silica inhalational lung injury. However, in case you develop any cough, wheezing or chest pa...  Read Full »