Foreign Body Inside Nose

What causes a child's ears and nose to have a very foul smell?

Query: My 4yr old son's ears and nose have a very foul smell, he also have a running nose. I have noticed it for a week now.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! There could be two things which is causing the foul smellimg discharge from the nose and ear. 1. A foreign body - Make sure that the child hasn't inserted any foreign object in the nose or the ear as this is most common cause of foul smell discharge in this age group. You can definelty see thr...  Read Full »

What to do if a small ant crawls inside through the nose or ear?

Query: What is the worst thing that can happen if a small ant crawl in human body through nose or ear?  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! The worst thing that can happen to that creature is that it will die! No insect after entering into nose can survive for a long time as it usually gets pushed into the stomach and gets killed due to the effect gastric juices. Yes, there are some organisms like worms which do survive the effect...  Read Full »

How will an old magnet stuck in nasal passage and cause breathing issues?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26-year-old female. This might sound odd but when I was 11 I was playing with two small round magnets pretending to have a nose piercing in the septum. The magnets stuck together and went up either side of the nose clamping the septum. I panicked and did not tell anyone. About a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, firstly, I would like to assure you, that as doctors we come across much stranger things and hence, it is important to get yourself checked whether the other magnet is still stuck in your nostrils or not. The doctor might do an x-ray of your sinuses, after he ...  Read Full »

A small live ant has accidentally gone into my nose. Will it enter my brain or lungs?

Query: Hello doctor, A small live ant has accidentally gone into my nose. I tried to blow it out but not sure about it? Can it enter the brain or lungs? And lay eggs there? What are the symptoms?  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ant, by all means, will be dead and blown out of your nasal airways because our nose has the following protective mechanisms. 1. Nasal vibrissae (small hairs) which block particles size of an ant. 2. Viscous secretions (mucus) upon which still smaller particles...  Read Full »

My 3-year-old son stuck a raisin up in his nose and is asymptomatic. How long can we wait for the treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, My 3-year-old son stuck a raisin up his nose. My wife and I are physician assistants. We went to the pediatric ED after attempting multiple positive pressure techniques without success. The pediatrician ED doctor was unable to visualize with a nasal speculum and was failed to pass an N...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is better to remove it as early as possible. It is an organic material trapped in a place full of bacteria so rhinosinusitis can occur quickly with the formation of pus. I do not advise you to wait to remove it as soon as possible. Also, you have to be afraid of h...  Read Full »

Why do I smell feces when there is nothing around?

Query: Hello doctor, I have bad faeces smell coming from my nose when I breathe. What could be all possible causes? Nobody around me feels that smell and that is how I got to know that it is from my nose itself. Please advice.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Bad smell during breathing could be due to various reasons. Let us see those one by one. Malignancy: an intranasal (inside the nose) or intraoral (inside the mouth) malignancy can produce foul smell, that can be perceived as faeces smell by the nose. Malignancy can ...  Read Full »