Q. Is it possible for a magnet to get stuck in nasal passage and cause breathing problem?

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar

I am a 26-year-old female. This might sound odd but when I was 11 I was playing with two small round magnets pretending to have a nose piercing in the septum. The magnets stuck together and went up either side of the nose clamping the septum. I panicked and did not tell anyone. About a week later I remember getting tweezers and pulling one out and it smelt bad and looked disgusting. I do not ever remember pulling the other out but I may have because I kind of never really thought about it again until later when I seem to have issues breathing through my nose and always have recurring extremely painful sore throats and swollen tonsils. This makes me panic and remember what happens and if I ever did remove the other magnet and if I did not, would it cause a lot of damage being there for so long? It sounds ridiculous but I do not feel comfortable telling my doctor. Please suggest.

#

Well, firstly, I would like to assure you, that as doctors we come across much stranger things and hence, it is important to get yourself checked whether the other magnet is still stuck in your nostrils or not. The doctor might do an x-ray of your sinuses, after he thoroughly checks you up, to see if it has dislodged further up.

The symptoms you are experiencing are classic of an infected sinus, leading to the spread of that infection to other parts of your upper respiratory tract. It can be possible that the magnet, is compressing one of the sinus openings, leading to secondary infection and hence the symptoms. Please, do not delay any further. Meet your nearest physician as soon as possible, for proper examination and treatment.

I know you are embarrassed, but it can be dangerous if this infection is not controlled and spreads to other sites.

| 

I have tonsil looking like a white build up with some veins on it. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a left tonsil that looks like a white build up with some veins on it. I recently was diagnosed with a jaw bone that was malaligned so I am wearing several appliances to get that back set in place. I recently went to an ENT and they put a scope down my nose and said my tonsils a...  Read Full »

Can sinusitis cause bad breath?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a persistent bad breath and bad taste in my mouth. I have excellent oral hygiene, and my dentist said my teeth and gums are all healthy. My doctor said that it could be sinus drainage, but I have dealt with this for years even when I have no drainage. It is ruining my personal life ...  Read Full »

There is a localized yellow spot on the nose. How to heal it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a yellow spot on the right nose. When something touches it like air or finger, it gets irritated and sneezing happen for at least five to six times or more. So, I captured photos to see it, and it appeared as localized yellow spot. I applied Clindamycin, but no much effect so far. ...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now