Q. A staple entered my eyes 10 years ago. Will I go permanently blind?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Published on Nov 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am currently 18 years old. I remember when I was 8 years old, a staple entered my right eye. I think it went under my eyelid and I did not tell my parents about it. I did not feel any irritations or as if something is in my eye. What should I do? Will I go permanently blind? Please help me. I am afraid.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• If a foreign body was lodged in your eye, it would definitely have caused an irritation. A staple is quite a big foreign body. In my opinion, it was dislodged then and there.
  • If you are still in doubt, you can go for a CT scan of your orbit (the area around your eye). If there is a staple pin, it will show on it.
  • May I know what is your current visual status?

I advise you not to jump to conclusions and scare yourself. You will be just fine.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

My CT scan done for back issues revealed a kidney stone. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, On a thoracic lumbar CT scan performed early this month, the radiologist found a 5 mm non-obstructive stone.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need not worry as the kidney stone is small in size and non-obstructive. No medicines are required at all. Just drink plenty of fluids and the stone would pass easily. I hope it helps you. If you have any further queries, please ask me. For more information consul...  Read Full

Is CT scan safe during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female, and I was hospitalized for a week due to UTI. As a part of it, a CT scan was taken, which showed that I am completely cured. Then the next day, a blood test showed two weeks pregnancy. I am worried that the CT scan would have an adverse effect on the baby. C...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepti Verma
Fetal Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have gone through your question, and I understood your concerns.CT scan has strong radiations, and it is known to have adverse effects on the fetus. You should consult a gynecologist and decide further action.Hope you found the answer helpful. Do get back to me for furt...  Read Full

How to treat bruising under the eye caused by trauma?

Query: Hello doctor, I got hit on my cheek by a rock while doing some work. The area under my eye swole up and caused me to have a black eye. Now a whole one year two months later, I still feel the bruising of under eye similar to the look of a black eye. Is there a certain term for this?  Read Full >>

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The certain term for this is the black eye that you have told yourself. This is a particular term (black eye) used for trauma to eye area resulting in blood collection around it. Another term used for it is raccoon eyes or panda eyes as it forms a complete ring aroun...  Read Full