Q. There are cracks on my foreskin and I cannot pull it back. What should I do?

Answered by
Dr. Mashfika N Alam
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have a problem with the foreskin. I cannot pull back the skin as it has developed cracks in the tip area. Please advice.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner


Welcome to icliniq.com.

A cracked, irritated or fissured foreskin could be due to a number of reasons.

If you have diabetes mellitus, both diagnosed or undiagnosed, it could cause a fungal infection of the foreskin leafing to cracking.

If you are not a known case of diabetes, you must get your blood glucose level checked and keep it under strict control. You may use topical antifungal like Miconazole to treat it. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

Also, you need to keep the area clean and dry.

Use lukewarm water to clean and avoid friction until it heals. This should work.

It could also be inflammation of the foreskin and the glans which can lead to fissuring and it is common in uncircumcised men.

Given your age, diabetes mellitus is a likely cause. Please check your blood glucose level.

If all else fails, you may need prescription steroid cream or lastly a circumcision.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to regain sensitivity in the penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from the loss of sensitivity in my penis. I am not happy while doing sex. Previously my foreskin got removed freely at that time I did not get any sensitivity to my penis. At the time of my first sex, the foreskin got cut and it bled. So, I used a cream. My scrotum is v...  Read Full »

I am not able to fully retract my foreskin. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Some weeks back, I noticed some red spots on my glans and some itching. So, I consulted a doctor. I was advised to take Fluconazole 150 mg for three days and Candid-B cream to be applied for three days and the problem was solved. Now there is no issue except that I cannot withdraw my ...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Family Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.