Q. Is it mandatory to retract the foreskin of a 10-month-old baby?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My baby boy is 10 months old. He is healthy and active. My relative told me recently that the baby's penis needs to be retracted, so he should not face problems afterward. Being a new mother, I did not know this, and they said that the maid who does baby massages knows it, and she puts oil and opens up the skin for the newborn, so it retracts. As baby's skin is soft when they are born, it can be done easily. Now all this was not known to me, and immediately after my son's birth, there was lockdown, so we could not keep any maid for baby massage. I did my baby's massage myself and doing it until today. Please guide me if I have missed doing this important thing. I do not want to do anything with the baby genital, and now the foreskin is closed. Will my baby have any problems? What is to be done now? I bathe my baby regularly and maintain good hygiene. There is no other issue. Please guide.

#

Do not worry so much. It is fine to bring back the foreskin gently. Do not use too much force. As long as it being done gently and baby has no issues passing urine, you need not worry.

As advised, every day before bath, I gently pull back the baby's skin and apply oil, but today during a diaper change, the penis was hard, and I gently pulled the skin, and there was a little blood coming. I hope I did not hurt the baby. Please advise what to do? Is it normal? What needs to be checked? The baby is normal and not crying. Please advise.

#

As explained previously, the foreskin should be pulled back gently and not with force. The photos sent by you are suggesting that some force may have been applied. Still not to worry. It will heal on its own. You can apply Betnovate cream (0.1 %) daily at night to the foreskin for two weeks

No force was not applied. Will it be painful for the baby? Will he have a problem while urinating? Can I apply oil for soothing or Cipladine 5% ointment?

#

Please stop applying Cipladine. You can apply oil and please use the cream suggested by me. If the baby is comfortable, it is less likely it is painful for the baby. Do not worry.

|