Q. Can mixed feeding be given to a new born?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Apr 13, 2019

My cousin, a newborn baby, was born four days before, male, 51 cm and 3.1 kg. He is crying, and we think that he cannot poop. He drinks breast milk. And every time he farts he cries and, we thought he has a hard time getting it out.

I would also like to ask if he is allowed to drink water and if we can do mixed feeding (alternate drinking of breast milk and formula milk).

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Please note that a child may cry either because he is hungry, has passed urine or stool, or wants to seek attention. Take note of the same. Other than that whatever you have described is normal and it persists till the age of six months. Hence do not worry.

Giving water is not required as milk already contains water. However, giving boiled and cooled clean water is harmless. You can mix feeds and give. It is not an issue.

Is it advisable to give formula to newborn for jaundice?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter was born a week back. Upon leaving the hospital her jaundice levels were at 10.2. The follow-up appointment was yesterday and after doing a bilirubin test it went up to 11.2. The doctor stated I should start supplementing with formula as I am breastfeeding. However, she was...  Read Full »

My 5 months old baby often cries due to gas problem. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,My baby has just completed 5 months. We are giving her formula milk since my wife had less milk. She has constant problems with gas. I have given her Colicaid before a feed and burp her 15 to 20 minutes after every feed and gas gets released as well. Even after that, she cries due to gas p...  Read Full »

How can I increase my breast milk production?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a 1-month-old baby. I am giving breast milk and formula milk to my baby due to insufficient breast milk. However, my breast milk was not too low. I used to provide formula feed for one or two feeds. Before three days back, I was sick, and so I could not breastfeed my baby for...  Read Full »