Q. Please explain whether changing Formula can cause gas in a baby.

Dr. Prakash Nagar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 30, 2020

My baby is 4 weeks old. I fed her a combination of breast milk and formula milk. I changed her formula to enfalac from friscolac slowly, and started solely on enfalac yesterday afternoon. I changed the milk (upon consulting with the pediatric clinic) because she was having constipation and gassy stomach. My baby had watery stool once yesterday and today (only after being completely on enfalac). She also is quite gassy (most days than not) and gets upset with it (cries last about 10 minutes). My worry is that if she is okay and, does the enfalac formula milk agree with her or she struggling with something else. I had to add formula milk due to insufficient supply of breast milk.

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Breast milk is definitely best and first choice but as it is insufficient and you need to supplement with formula feeds, all these formula milk are cow's milk. It is not clear from your query- which Enfalac formula you are giving as there are so many different types and also in the powder form and in ready to feed one. Watch it with the same formula milk for next 24 hours, feed more on breast feeding, and keep a watch on urine output. It may settle down slowly. If not then get, stool test - routine analysis, give Pedialyte - 15- 20 ml after each loose motion (give as small small sips), and better to give a milk formula which is HA (hypoallergic) like Similac or Nan or any other.

| 

Can reduced feeding help cure 'pain while passing motions' in an infant?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is one month old. Her birth weight was 3.6 kg. After 15 days, she weighed 3.8 and then later she weighed 4.2 kg. Now, her current weight is 4.35 kg. She seems to pass drop by drop motion of about 15 to 20 times a day and she has some sharp pain followed by some intermitten...  Read Full »

I have too much gas in the stomach and fart uncontrollably. Please suggest a cure.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 31 year old male. I have too much gas in the stomach despite drinking plenty of water, nearly four to five liters a day. I fart too much. I feel embarrassed and cannot control it. I am not taking any medications currently.  Read Full »

Why is there continuous release of gas from my stomach?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a gastric problem for the last one year. There is a continuous release of gas from my stomach. The stomach sort of puffs up all the time, gas production is in every 10 to 15 minutes and it goes out through the anus or mouth. After 10 to 15 minutes again I have the ...  Read Full »