Foul Smelling Vagina

My weird vaginal smell is affecting my sex life. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a habit of washing my vagina after urinating. Within two to three hours, my vagina starts smelling a lot. I feel the smell even if I do not wash. This is very embarrassing. Because of this, I avoid sex sometimes. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Deepali Raina

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Some amount of smell is usual in vaginal secretions. However, it may become foul-smelling in case of infection. That is the most common cause. Second, sometimes, sweat in the groins and vulva smells after some time, especially in summers. Third, rarely due to ce...  Read Full »

What can be the reason for white vaginal discharge and foul smell?

Query: Good day doctor I have never enjoy sex before each time i have sex its so hurt and my vaginal always have white tissue all the time and the smelling is bad pls help me out  Read Full »

Dr. Sanya Dhingra

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello. Greetings from icliniq . I understand your concern. I would like more details about your vaginal discharge like is it curd like white and in consistency . Does it itch ? Do you have any problems with urination ? Because this could be a bacterial or fungal infection which needs treatme...  Read Full »

Please suggest some home remedies for BV.

Query: Hi..I am 19 years old. I have become sexually active within the 6 months for the first time, and have come in contact with the use of douches and different sexual partners. Unfortunately I think I have given myself BV and not realized it. I have a strong odor down there a little bit of itching, but ...  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, How are you doing? Hope you & your loved ones are safe and healthy. Bacterial vaginosis is due to the imbalance between the healthy and unhealthy bacteria/ organisms in vagina. This balance between good & bad bacteria is needed to protect vagina from new infections. Use of too many ant...  Read Full »

Will birth control pills cause smelly vaginal discharge?

Query: Hello doctor, For over four months, I have been experiencing vaginal discharge that has an offensive smell. I am in the military. I have been to the doctor and they continue to tell me it is just a symptom from my birth control but have not sent me to a gynecologist. The discharge has an offensive ...  Read Full »

Dr. Tinu Philip

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com The bad smell and the discoloration of your vaginal discharge could be due to either a candida (fungal ) or bacterial vaginosis (BV) (bacterial infection). Trichomonas usually has a fishy smell which you do not have. Candida infections usually have something like a c...  Read Full »

Can vaginal infection cause fishy vaginal discharge and itching for two years?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two years, I've been getting a smelly vaginal discharge, more like a fishy odor. I've never had any sexual intercourse. During those two years, my vagina was itching and sometimes it was unsupportable. I never went to a doctor as I don't know ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, How are you doing? Hope you & your loved ones are safe and healthy. For a young lady of 18yrs , not sexually active, diagnosis are 1. If you use vaginal wash or douching frequently. Use too many antibiotics frequently for any other reason. This could be Bacterial vaginosis. It's not an ...  Read Full »

Why do I have bad smell in my vagina?

Query: Hello doctor, I am super embarrassed but I have been having trouble with being positive about this situation. I have been having issues with my downstairs area about smells. To me it is very unpleasant and I am very uncomfortable.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? Hope you and your dear ones are safe and healthy. For a young lady of your age, following are the possibilities and solutions: 1. If using antibiotics frequently, bacterial vaginosis. Caused by imbalance in healthy and unhealthy bacteria and vaginal...  Read Full »

Why does my vaginal discharge smell like rotten eggs?

Query: Hi doctor, I have noticed the past couple of days my vagina smells like rotten eggs. I have never been sexually active, but I use tampons. I do not have any other symptoms, like burning, itching, discharge, etc. What could this be?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? The possible causes are: If a tampon is left in for a long time or unhygienic methods of insertion. You can stop using tampons and use sanitary pads till fine. Use vaginal wash twice a day for a week. If you have a urinary infection. This will need c...  Read Full »

Does bacterial vaginosis cause fishy odor?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a fishy odor down there since I was in elementary school. I was not sexually active at all either. Just a couple years ago I realized I might have something called bacterial vaginosis. I went to the doctor for it a couple years ago and got prescribed Metronidazole and it di...  Read Full »

Dr. Nadia Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you have heard right that if vaginal infections are left untreated they may lead to PID and infertility. It is a serious issue which must be dealt with promptly and appropriately. Bacterial vaginosis leads to change in vaginal flora and pH which results in fishy...  Read Full »

I am sexually active. Why is there a bad smell coming from vagina?

Query: Hello doctor, I am active in sex with no protection. Before three months, I had a boyfriend who had two other girls. They also have sex. I was there during every weekday and the other girl every weekend. And then, I had a new boyfriend. We had unprotected sex also. Then two weeks later, I met a guy...  Read Full »

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. You seem to have contracted a vaginal infection and need to take a course of antibiotics. Your current partner also needs to take the medicines, otherwise, the infection will be recurrent. If you are in a flexible sexual relationship, kindly use condoms, it greatly reduc...  Read Full »

I have a foul smell in the vagina. Is it possible that I have left a tampon in?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old female. My last period was one and a half weeks ago. I had sex five days ago. I noticed a smell that made me suspicious. The smell went away in a couple hours but that made me think I left a tampon in. I felt for it but couldn't find anything. Yesterda...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not see it a reason to worry about. As you mentioned, it could be a forgotten tampon. But chances are low as it would have interfered with your sex. It would have been painful. The other possibility is there may be an infection of vagina and cervix. Cervix ca...  Read Full »