Q. My vagina smells weird even after washing. Why?

Dr. Deepali Raina

I have a habit of washing my vagina after urinating. Within two to three hours, my vagina starts smelling a lot. I feel the smell even if I do not wash. This is very embarrassing. Because of this, I avoid sex sometimes. Please help.

#

Some amount of smell is usual in vaginal secretions. However, it may become foul-smelling in case of infection. That is the most common cause.

Second, sometimes, sweat in the groins and vulva smells after some time, especially in summers.

Third, rarely due to cervical lesions, which may be due to early cervical cancer.

Let us go with commoner causes first.

1. Take FAS-3 (Fluconazole, Azithromycin, and Secnidazole) kit, an antibiotic combination, and is to be taken within 24 hours. This will take care of the infection component. If you or your partner has diabetes, even he can take the same dose so that infection does not travel between you two.

2. Wear cotton undergarments and keep the area dry and clean.

3. Take some probiotics for a week, once daily.

4. If this does not help, I would recommend a gynecology check-up to look for your cervix.

Can you tell me if your periods are regular, and have you ever done a PAP test?

My periods are regular. And I have not done a PAP test.

#

After you finish the FAS 3 kit, wait for a week and then go for a PAP test. These days co-testing is done, which is better than the PAP test. All married or sexually active women must do this every three years. Also, you are young and can go for cervical cancer vaccination. It is safe and very effective.

|