Q. I had unprotected sex and now have a sore throat and pain at the base of my penis. Please help.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 28, 2020

I had unprotected sex, and after that, four weeks later, I got a CMIA combo test (fourth generation) done. It is non-reactive. Now I have a sore throat and nerve like pain at the base of my penis. What are the chances of getting positive? How accurate are the fourth generation tests after one month? Please help me I am worried.

#

Thank you for the query.

The fourth-generation HIV (Human immunodeficiency viruses) antibody test is almost considered conclusive after one-month exposure. But it would be better to go for an HIV antibody test after three months of exposure to have final, conclusive results and be relieved of anxiety.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

But I have a sore throat and nerve like pain at my penis' base at both sides after masturbation. Is this pain because of masturbation or of any other infection? Should I go for the fourth generation test after eight weeks?

#

Thank you for the follow-up query.

The symptoms are non-specific and do not suggest HIV. It may be due to anxiety or due to masturbation. So you relax. You can go for an HIV antibodies test after three months of exposure, and no need to test again after eight weeks.

Thank you for your reply.

But I had unprotected sex and got tested by the CMIA combo HIV test after one month, and the value is 0.16, and 58 th day value is 0.45. Both the results are non-reactive. Why there is an increase in value? Should I have to worry about this increase? Is this test after eight weeks conclusive? Please help.

#

Thank you for the query.

Do not worry about the values. If it is negative, it is enough. They are minor variations but within negative. It is not essential.

You are almost free from HIV, provided there is no further risk exposure. But it would be better to go for an HIV antibodies test after three months of exposure to have final, conclusive results and be relieved of anxiety.

Now I can prepare for my exam with peace of mind. Thank you so much.

#

You can prepare for the exams. But also get the test done after three months of exposure to have final, conclusive results and relieve anxiety.

| 

What is the management for pain in penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain at the right side near the penis for 20 days. MRI done on pelvic region showing infective etiology likely, there is thickening of right side epididymis, and vas deferens, right side seminal vesicle is thickened. Mild hydrocele on the right side. A thick-walled, 22.5*21*34 m...  Read Full »

I have sore throat with difficulty in swallowing and bleeding in tonsils. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sore throat since this Wednesday. My dad is a doctor and he gave me Augmentin every 12 hours. The pain has not gone yet, but I feel like an object anytime I swallow. It hurts and it feels dry and sore. Just on the left side, it is been a few days but nothing new yet. It hurts...  Read Full »

Can soreness in throat and skin redness after sex be due to HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old white male, I had protected intercourse vaginal and anal and unprotected oral sex, vaginal and anal exactly 17 days back. Eight days after I had an itch in my throat that practically made the corner of my mouth pucker for a day or two and lost my appetite. Around the...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Community Medicine Physician Now