Q. Is HIV RNA PCR test conclusive at 12 weeks?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

I went for an HIV test at six weeks after low-risk exposure and get false positive. At eight weeks both fourth generation and HIV RNA PCR are negative. At 9 and 10 weeks rapid test is negative. At 12 weeks HIV RNA PCR is negative. Is it conclusive? My doctor told me no need for further tests.

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

To answer your query, I want to give reference of published research that, Although the reported sensitivity and specificity of fourth generation tests are more than 99% in numerous studies, there are several instances of discordance between screening and confirmatory techniques (Liu P et al. AIDS Research and Therapy 2016 13:1).

False positivity can be due to user error or cross contamination, if there is ongoing some other illness eg. malaria, or if there is a history of blood transfusion, autoimmune diseases.

A positive test result always needs to be routinely confirmed using a different type of test or testing kit. Fourth generation tests are more than 95% accurate at six weeks and this needs to be confirmed after three months with a second test.

If the test in your case has been performed at three months after the exposure and is giving negative results, and you have not had another risk, you do not have HIV. Your fourth generation test and RNA PCR at 9 and 10 weeks and further 12 weeks negative RNA PCR, suffices to rule out infection.

If you still have apprehension, get a repeat HIV antibody test at six months of exposure, no need to repeat it in between.

Take precautions in the future (consistent and correct condom usage).

| 

Are ELFA and HIV DUO tests conclusive at three and six months post-exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a few unprotected high-risk exposure in my life so far. I had a concern and checked my status of HIV through an ELFA test after three months of the last encounter. I did another ELFA test after six months, and both were non-reactive. I did not have any exposure in between t...  Read Full »

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full »

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now