Q. Is the HIV fourth-generation duo rapid test after eight years of sexual exposure reliable?

Dr. Rajesh Deshwal

I had tested with a fourth-generation duo rapid test kit at home after eight years of sexual exposure with a female sex worker, and it came negative. The description of the test kit is written as follows:- common substances such as pain and fever medication and blood components may affect the performance of trust line 4th generation antigen or antibody rapid test. So when I was tested with that kit time, I had no fever, but I had pain in my legs and a burning sensation in my legs and hands. So do these symptoms affect the test result? Is this a false negative result? Kindly help me.

#

The test result is perfectly fine. If you had exposure eight years ago, you are negative for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), and more tests are indicated. None of your symptoms, medication, or blood components affects the HIV test result. This is a valid test result and not a false positive. Thank you.

Thank you for your answer. While I was tested five months back, I took multivitamin tablets, B12 injection, Tryptomer, and Pregabalyn M 75 mg tablet for anxiety. I had tested my vitamin B12 level before one month of HIV test; the B12 level was 2000 pg/mL. So this affect my test result? Also, I was stressed and anxious for the last year before testing, and the result was not enough antibodies to detect HIV infection. Kindly answer.

#

Neither your drugs nor your stress and anxiety have to do anything with the test results.

Take care.

Thank you. I have attached the photo of the test kit, which is 100 % conclusive. However, while testing with the test kit, I accidentally opened the test device and came in contact with kit device antigens (pinkish liquid) with a pricked finger; so will these HIV antigens in rapid test cause infection? Do I get HIV from coming into contact with antigens (gp41) of the test device? I am very scared.

Also, I have continuous pain in my legs, a burning sensation in my legs, hands, and buttocks, and sometimes shifts to my knees. Are these arthritis symptoms? Or have I developed peripheral neuropathy? Or other diseases which may have symptoms like continuous pain in my legs, burning sensation in hands, buttocks, knee, and on my back, which can not detect HIV antibodies in the test kits?

For the past one year, I have been under stress and fear of HIV. So kindly explain in brief. Is this test 100 % reliable, or do I need more tests? Do the rapid tests detect HIV infection after eight years of exposure?

#

I saw the photos you have attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). You do not get human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) by touching test kit reagents or antigens. The symptoms which you are mentioning are because of anxiety, stress, and depression. You are 100 % negative for HIV. I suggest you seek the opinion of a psychologist or psychiatrist for your psychological issues.

Best wishes.

Thank you for your answer. Do HIV 4th generation duo rapid tests detect HIV infection after eight years of exposure? I tested CBC four months before the HIV test, and the report showed- lymphocytes were 15 %, and after the test, the lymphocytes were 20 %. Do that low lymphocytes affect the test result?

On my left-hand thumb, I have two vertical grey color lines, which I read somewhere is a symptom of HIV. And also in the last eight years, I have had armpit lumps three to four times; all these symptoms scared me, and I thought the result was a false negative? Do I need more testing?

#

You have done enough testing. I suggest you not perform any laboratory tests. I also suggest you live your life and not waste it by thinking about inconsequential things. You are negative for HIV.

|