Q. Will my bone fracture stabilize with the splint or do I need bone casting?

Dr. Atul Prakash

I have a fracture of the ulna bone and visited an orthopedician today. Because of the wounds on my knuckles, as you can see in the picture, the doctor could not cast it. Instead, a splint is put on it that I shall remove only for shower. Shall I take a shower with the splint? Will the fracture settle with the splint, or casting has to be done after five days?

Kindly help.

Thanks.

#

You shall keep the splint on while you shower as reapplication is always a little tricky, and though you may succeed most of the time, it will be impractical if you are in a hurry. So cover it with a readymade waterproof cover with an elasticated mouth. After five weeks, there will be no need for a cast, so most likely, you will lose the splint then.

All the best.

Thanks for responding.

Is it advisable to make a fist and move my fingers? When can I do pushups and lift weights?

Give your opinion.

#

It is mandatory to keep using the hand to do activities of daily living like buttoning, putting clothes on, carry a cuppa, or something light. In addition, do fist often to drain the blood from the fingers. Weight lifting and push-up can be done only when the splint comes off. It takes two to three weeks after the splint is off to return to complete-fledged activities.

Take care.

Thanks for responding.

As I am advised not to grip the handlebars, shall I use a stationary bike? What intensity is advisable? My orthopedician was unclear in his answer.

Kindly help.

#

You can use a stationary bike as long as you do not lean on the handlebars as it would not have a power grip. However, if you feel pain discontinue it. As it is a sign that you are doing things too soon in the process of recovery.

I hope this would help.

Thanks for your reply.

How do I keep my splint dry from sweat as I sweat with increased intensity?

Kindly help.

#

Sweat is challenging to counter, really not much to add except to exercise in a cool environment. Also, you can wear an easy dry stockinette under the splint.

|