Fractured Tooth

What is the reason for sharp pain in the filled tooth on taking cold drinks?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my two back molars on the top left side of my mouth filled about three weeks ago and after a few days, everything was fine. No pain, nothing. But a few days ago, I realized that every time I drink hot, cold, and sometimes even room temperature liquids there is a sharp almost pie...  Read Full »

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, get a radiograph done for those two teeth, it will tell the status of your teeth. Sometimes, if the filling is high, you experience pain. The filling might be fractured. The nerve exposure means caries has reached till the pulpal horn. Parts of teeth: Enamel...  Read Full »

What causes black cracks in teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, While looking at my teeth the other day, I noticed what looked like cracks in my molar teeth  (2nd from the back) on either side. Recently, I went to the dentist for a cleaning and also was complaining about sensitive teeth to both hot and cold. On both these teeth, I have a bit of ...  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all thank God that you met a good endodontist who diagnosed the right problem. Secondly, through all your case history it is evident that you are having a chronic habit of clenching your jaws that is called 'bruxism' in medical terms. What happens in it is, due t...  Read Full »

Why am I having pain in the mouth while chewing?

Query: Hello doctor, Since the age of 6 to 18 (current) I have had sharp pains in my mouth whenever I use my chewing teeth. No cavities whatsoever. I do not know what is the problem. And the pain is on and off. What is the problem?  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Possibilities are many: 1. There might be fractured teeth. 2. There might be sinus problems. 3. There might be condylar or TMJ problems. 4. Might this be related to the nerves. I suggest you go to a good oral and maxillofacial surgeon or an endodontist. Different t...  Read Full »

Why is the second premolar paining?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my left second premolar. The x-rays do not show anything, and it does not hurt if I tap on it or drink cold water. It seems to hurt near the root of the tooth, but only on one side, that is, the side facing the first molar. When I touch this side, I feel a short, sharp p...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. By your description, it seems maybe your premolar might have a vertical fracture involving the nerves inside. This might be either due to a large filling, which may have caused more pressure on the remaining tooth structure or even biting on a very hard object or food...  Read Full »

My tooth broke off after root canal treatment. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I was having food this morning and the front half of the back tooth broke off. But, this tooth is dead because I got a root canal about six years ago. I have no pain or discomfort on the tooth or around the gums but you can see black stuff which I am guessing is the filling they used ...  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem is too minor. You can wait up to one month for the further treatment. In case the sharp edge does hurt, do visit a dentist and get it rounded. It will just take three minutes for that procedure. The treatment you require for this is the placement of a c...  Read Full »

My root canal filling came out. Pease help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had a root canal done for a tooth, a couple of months ago. My crown came out 8 days back. I did not go back to the dentist, but now a screw came out my tooth. What does this mean? When should I visit a dentist?  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I would like to explain the treatment that has been done to your tooth according to the details provided by you: Your tooth has been root canal treated. Root canal treatment is mostly done to a tooth when the decay has reached the innermost layer of the toot...  Read Full »

I have very sore swollen area behind the upper last tooth. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have very sore area behind the last tooth on my upper right side of my mouth. It hurts terribly to chew and swallow because of the location of the soreness. I am 52 years old and never really had problems with my teeth. Also, the area does not look red or has any open sores, just sw...  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are three possibilities about this soreness, either there is some problem with the tooth, may be it is fractured. Secondly, possibility is that you may have got trauma due to biting or food like fish sting stuck there. Third possibility is that due to trauma from ...  Read Full »

How can I take care of broken tooth without filling?

Query: Hi doctor, Three weeks ago a very small part, about 1/8th part of my tooth fell and I went to the dentist. He suggested filling but I was reluctant because it involved grinding. Can I prevent any further damage to my tooth by taking proper care that is brushing twice, using mouthwash and gargling e...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Jakhmola

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As explained by you, this seems to be the case of crown fracture in which no deep part of the tooth is involved. Even simple fracture of the crown (enamel) may cause sensitivity and roughnesses caused by fracture may cause traumatic ulcers. So it is advisable to go f...  Read Full »

What can be done for vertical fracture of tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I believe I have broken my right side molar in half vertically. The left side is very loose and I cannot bare any pressure without significant pain. What is the best course of action without insurance and can the tooth be saved?  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the broken part is not causing much pain, try to eat something sticky like wet dates or eclairs type candy or chocolate so the broken part gets removed through it and then follow this antibiotic regime for three days. Tablet Augmentin 625 mg twice a day, tablet Metro...  Read Full »

What can be done for mobile permanent tooth due to fall in a child?

Query: Hello doctor, My 9-year-old fell and one of her permanent teeth is now wiggly. What can I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If bleeding is persistent, give your kid cold packs of cotton on the tooth or make him eat ice-cream. If it is not suitable in this weather then put honey around the tooth. Once bleeding is controlled, now start with saline water mouth rinses. Take a cup of lukewarm water...  Read Full »