Q. Is there a way to protect broken tooth without filling?

Dr. Deepti Jakhmola

Three weeks ago a very small part, about 1/8th part of my tooth fell and I went to the dentist. He suggested filling but I was reluctant because it involved grinding. Can I prevent any further damage to my tooth by taking proper care that is brushing twice, using mouthwash and gargling every time I eat?

#

As explained by you, this seems to be the case of crown fracture in which no deep part of the tooth is involved. Even simple fracture of the crown (enamel) may cause sensitivity and roughnesses caused by fracture may cause traumatic ulcers. So it is advisable to go for grinding of the tooth (enameloplasty) to remove sharp edges and filling is advisable to prevent any sensitivity.

Heavy biting forces.

Ellis class1 fracture.

Enameloplasty and restoration.

|