Q. My front teeth chipped out following a hit. Please suggest me the right treatment.

Dr. Tinu Thampy
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2021

I got a hit, and four of my teeth chipped, out of which two hurts. It has only been less than 24 hours so far. I went to the dentist, and she says that I need a root canal right away. However, taking a second opinion, the other dentist says a root canal is not necessary and it will heal on its own since it is not looking major. Please suggest me the right treatment. Previously, I had braces treatment. I am in retainers for almost two years since the braces were taken off.

#

• As per the radiograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I assume that pulp is not exposed.
  • The fracture of the tooth is only till dentin layer. The pulp chamber and root canal is the black or dark area seen in the middle of the tooth on the radiograph. So, the root canal is not immediately indicated now.
  • Root canal treatment is required when the fracture of tooth involves the pulp chamber and is exposed to outside environment.
  • But, you will have a sensitivity of tooth since dentin layer is exposed. You can get a temporary filling contains medicament for dentin sensitivity from a dentist and wait for two weeks for subsiding any impact of the hit to the surrounding areas.
  • After two weeks if you have no pain and discomfort, then yYou can go ahead with permanent filling which is a tooth-colored material and restore the normal shape of the tooth crown.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|