iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOrthopedician and TraumatologyfracturesMy father's leg broke 20 years ago, but it started swelling and hurting a few days back. Why?

What could be the reason for sudden pain and swelling in a leg that fractured 20 years back?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Anuj Nigam

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 12, 2023
Reviewed AtJanuary 17, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My father's leg was broken 20 years ago. But a few days back, that leg started swelling and hurting. He cannot even walk now.

Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Anuj Nigam


Welcome to icliniq.com.

A 20-year-old injury is a very long time. There are chances that the injury that occured at that time is now causing the development of arthritis in the knee or ankle that is causing recurrent episodes of swelling in the leg. Also, there are chances that due to old age, there might have been minor fractures due to osteoporosis which can again cause such presentations. To be very sure of either diagnosis, I will need an X-ray of the patient's leg and knee. Also, details on his current medicines, any other medical history like hypertension or diabetes, or any other significant illness. The leg swelling is also caused by cardiac issues, which must be ruled out. Please get back with all these details so we can plan for the best possible treatment for your father.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Anuj Nigam
Dr. Anuj Nigam

Orthopedician and Traumatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Orthopedician and Traumatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy