Q. Can anxiety and stress cause frequent urination?

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Frequent Urination or Anxiety? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just slight urethra burning. I went to a urologist. He told me nothing was wrong, maybe an overactive bladder. I go to the toilet every two hours or three. I never knew what was wrong, but I started to obsess over it and it got worse to a place that my mind is in urination 24/7. I almost gave up until I went on a vacation and during that vacation, I forgot about it totally. The frequency was gone and even the burning urethra. Also, I had to remove my wisdom teeth and when I did, I was so occupied thinking about it that I forgot about urination and I noticed that I do not use the bathroom like I used to. But, I got back obsessing about it again and it got to a point that I urinate a lot of high volumes every hour. It comes suddenly and goes on its own. I use to get those episodes every few months when I had stress but since I got the fear it might never go away I get it almost daily now. I do not know what to do. Can anxiety cause polyuria like this clear urine when I am stressed?