Q. My 6-year-old kid is urinating frequently for about 30 times a day. How to stop it?

Dr. Swati Pandey
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 11, 2020

My child is 6 years old. Since one month he is repeatedly urinating for more than 30 times a day. We consulted a doctor and he prescribed for an antibiotic but it is not working. He went through urine culture and ultrasound, everything was normal. Is there any way to come out of it? Please help.

He is currently taking Ofloxacin oral suspension IP 50 mg/5ml and also lactulose solution USP 10 g/15 ml.

Dr. Swati Pandey

Paediatrics
#

See, your child is suffering from urinary tract infection (UTI) as per the symptoms. Can you please describe the other symptoms in more detail like any history of fever or chills rigor/pain abdomen/pus or blood in the urine or any stool abnormality? Any history of burning urination or any history of local inflammation in the genital area? Any previous significant history? Any history of similar complaints in the past? How is the hygiene of the genital area? Also, birth history of child? Is there any other chronic illness in child?

Along with the above history kindly upload urine culture and sensitivity reports along with all other investigations done along with the date of investigation. If not done then get one complete blood profile, urine culture sensitivity, blood pressure, serum urea, creatinine, and electrolytes and follow up with reports.

Till then continue with same antibiotics and lots of fluid intake. Give more vegetables and maintain proper hygiene.

See, maybe antibiotics are resistant for the infection that is why it might not be working. So we need to change the antibiotics as per the reports. So kindly attach the reports in the same follow up.

| 

I have sent the urine culture and senstiivity reports, serum urea creatinine and electrolytes report. When he was 1 year old he was suffering from constipation until 3 years but now it is alright. There is no such burning sensation. Kindly looking forward for positive results or any medicines.

Dr. Swati Pandey

Paediatrics
#

I have seen the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As per the reports, your child do not have any microorganisms per se but as he is having persistent symptoms we need to change the antibiotics and if possible get a repeat urine culture before starting antibiotics.

Stop Ofloxacin and start with Nitrofurantoin (25mg/5ml) suspension 5 ml four times a day at six hours gap for seven days after meals, tablet Pyridium 100 (Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride) half tablet 50 mg three times a day after meals for two days only. Do not worry if urine seems orangish after Pyridium. (make sure your child is not G6PD deficient, in that case we cannot use Nitrofurantoin, usually during birth doctor tells if the child is having deficiency).

Continue with lactulose if constipation is there else you can stop. Make sure that the child passes normal stool and not get constipated. Maintain good hydration. And clean and dry genitals after every time he passes urine or stool because hygiene is the key.

If you are using western toilet keep the toilet seat clean and dry before use. Do not worry your child will improve.

| 

I have frequent urination and minimal calcification. Does it mean prostate cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. I am worried about my prostate as my grandfather had prostate cancer and my father had an enlargement but was already cured. I had an ultrasound last year due to frequent urinating and result showed minimal calcification a year back. The Radiologist told me that the ca...  Read Full »

Antibiotics for urinary tract infection treatment

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from urinary tract infection. I get these once in every couple of years. I need to get an antibiotic to get rid of it. Please help.  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »