Q. How should be the quality of embryo used for IVF?

Published on Oct 13, 2019

I had a failed IVF cycle. None of my embryos made it to day 6. On day 5, one embryo was transfered. I am not getting proper answers from my clinic regarding the quality and growth of embryo that was transfered. Is the quality of the embryo good? Is this how it is supposed to look on day 5?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is a poor embryo with irregular cell walls and nuclei (attachment removed to protecct patient identity). It is unlikely that it would reach towards a successful pregnancy however if it has been implanted then just follow up with scans.

Thank you very much for your response. On second day of menstrual cycle, my FSH was - 8.02 mIU/ml and my estradiol- 33.52 pg/mL. Is this in normal range for a 31-year-old female?

Is it fine to transfer a poor quality embryo? And my doctor never told me it was of poor quality. They told me that my embryos are looking good. Are there any cases of successful pregnancy by having such embryo transferred? What could be the causes of such poor quality embryo?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The levels are normal for FSH but for estradiol, they are high.

I have gone through your husband's reports. He has very poor sperm count and has got abnormal forms of sperm amorphous heads with presence of bacteria. He has oligoasthenoteratozoospermia with infection. The cause of poor quality embryos are poor quality sperms. He needs to be treated for three months atleast before another attempt on IVF or there is possibility that you may conceive naturally if he is treated on the first hand.

Would my low sperm count have an adverse effect on IVF and ICSI?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old male with a low sperm count of 1.9 million. My blood work shows that I have a high FSH. Our doctor highly suggested that I get genetic testing done before we proceed with an IVF or an ICSI. I would like to know why he would suggest that.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to inform you that the low sperm count and high FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) are indicative of organic disorders of the testes. In other words, the parameters indicate the possibility of either a partial or a complete testicular failure. The geneti...  Read Full

Does my wife's hCG levels indicate a healthy pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she has PCOD. We are trying to conceive for 2 years. We had done an IUI which failed. We did IVF, but it ended with a chemical pregnancy. Last month, our doctor did Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET). He transferred 2 embryos on that day. We got a positive result...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The normal hCG levels in a singleton pregnancy as follows: At 4-5 weeks the HCG level ranges between 200-7000.At 5-6 weeks the HCG level ranges between 200-32,000.At 6-8 weeks the HCG level ranges between 4,000-150,000.In a twin pregnancy, the levels are 30% higher tha...  Read Full

Why am I having recurrent IVF failures?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had three IVF failures. Latest failure -four embryos transferred, two -day 3, two -day 5 (blastocyst with array), negative beta hCG. I want to know the reason for the failure.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry that you had an IVF failure. The causes can be many, right from immature poor quality egg fertilization, inadequate endometrialization, inadequate post embryo transfer medical support, previous endometriosis or any subsistent pelvic or vaginal infection or...  Read Full

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now