Q. How should be the quality of embryo used for IVF?

I had a failed IVF cycle. None of my embryos made it to day 6. On day 5, one embryo was transfered. I am not getting proper answers from my clinic regarding the quality and growth of embryo that was transfered. Is the quality of the embryo good? Is this how it is supposed to look on day 5?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is a poor embryo with irregular cell walls and nuclei (attachment removed to protecct patient identity). It is unlikely that it would reach towards a successful pregnancy however if it has been implanted then just follow up with scans.

| 

Thank you very much for your response. On second day of menstrual cycle, my FSH was - 8.02 mIU/ml and my estradiol- 33.52 pg/mL. Is this in normal range for a 31-year-old female?

Is it fine to transfer a poor quality embryo? And my doctor never told me it was of poor quality. They told me that my embryos are looking good. Are there any cases of successful pregnancy by having such embryo transferred? What could be the causes of such poor quality embryo?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The levels are normal for FSH but for estradiol, they are high.

I have gone through your husband's reports. He has very poor sperm count and has got abnormal forms of sperm amorphous heads with presence of bacteria. He has oligoasthenoteratozoospermia with infection. The cause of poor quality embryos are poor quality sperms. He needs to be treated for three months atleast before another attempt on IVF or there is possibility that you may conceive naturally if he is treated on the first hand.

| 

Does my wife's hCG levels indicate a healthy pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she has PCOD. We are trying to conceive for 2 years. We had done an IUI which failed. We did IVF, but it ended with a chemical pregnancy. Last month, our doctor did Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET). He transferred 2 embryos on that day. We got a positive result...  Read Full »

Would my low sperm count have an adverse effect on IVF and ICSI?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old male with a low sperm count of 1.9 million. My blood work shows that I have a high FSH. Our doctor highly suggested that I get genetic testing done before we proceed with an IVF or an ICSI. I would like to know why he would suggest that.  Read Full »

My sperm count is zero. Can I go ahead with ICSI?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an issue of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. Due to that my sperm count was zero. As per my doctor's advice, I am taking HCG 5000 and HMG 150 weekly twice over the last 12 months. I took semen analysis test at two centers and it shows sperm production has started. I shared the result ...  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now