Fungal Infection In Ear

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Recurrent fungal infection in ear with pain and tinnitus caused decreased hearing. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I want to ask about the condition of my ear because I have pain in one ear and I had some fungi in addition to the tinnitus. I recently went to a doctor, so he gave me some drops to eliminate these fungi, but after getting rid of those few fungi, I do not hear as well as the other ear. S...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to As you have rightly put it, there is a possibility of recurrent fungal infection what we call as otomycosis. This condition is very notorious for its recurrence even after treatment. Usually, usage of earbuds i.e. q-tip initiate the entire problem as often the cotton ti...  Read Full »

What can cause severe ear pain with hearing loss and blocked ears?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past three days, I am having unbearable pain in my right ear. I doubt somehow in the meantime of bath some water must have gone through it. And by my right ear, I could not able to hear anything. My right ear hearing capacity is 10-15% and it is closed. I have faced this issue...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to There are three possibilities for your problem. First is, impacted wax can be there which can create lots of pain, ear fullness, and decreased hearing. You can use Soliwax drops three drops thrice daily for five days. Second possibility is a fungal infection which usu...  Read Full »

Kindly tell the management of ear pain.

Query: Hello doctor, I have left ear pain for the past 7 days and I used Ciprofloxacin drop but no relief. Please suggest me.  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Pain in the ear- If external ear infection was causing pain then there would have been swelling around ear visible, which I suppose is not there. Wax in external ear can also cause pain, but you do not need antibiotic drops for that. Fungal infection can also cause ...  Read Full »

Why is green fluid leaking from the ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I have hearing loss from childhood. I had an infection in both the ears four years before and got it treated with antibiotics and got well. But, within weeks, a fluid of light green and sometimes brown color started leaking from my ear often during the day and it was itching. The doct...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan N

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You can have two of these conditions. This is what I can diagnose based on your history that you have given very well. Either chronic ear problem with a perforated eardrum or a fungal infection of the ear canal and drum. Perforation of the drum explains most of your...  Read Full »

Please suggest Clotrimazole drops for ear.

Query: Hello doctor,Can I get Clotrimazole ear drops without alcohol? My doctor prescribed me Canesten ear drops since he suspects a fungal infection, but the drops hurt like hell since they contain alcohol. Do you think there is another brand that can be used with perforated ear drum?  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar M

ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I suggest you Candid ear drops (Clotrimazole), which has¬†Lignocaine combination and that reduces the pain. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent. For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https:...  Read Full »

There is otomycosis reinfection after surgical ear cleaning and tympanoplasty. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is suffering from Aspergillus otomycosis. She has had tympanoplasty surgery. She then had a surgical ear cleaning, removing the infected skin in her middle ear. This initially worked to remove the fungus, but now her ear seems to be infected again. I am not sure if it is a fungus...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to In one of the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) sporangia seem to be there, but in the rest of the pictures, it is just wax. However, it is not likely to require debridement. It should go with the medications she is using.  Read Full »

There are inflamed nasal swellings and ear plugs. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I apologize for the long message, but I am a concerned mom. I have two sons (ages 3 and 5) and both of them and I have been experiencing chronic sinus or ear issues for the past several months. Their pediatrician has referred us to ENT since she does not know what it is. Both boys (an...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Do not stop Zyrtec (Cetirizine) and nasal corticosteroid spray. The polluted environment around you can harm your children badly. I think that the black plug inside your son's ear is a fungal infection. You need a topical antifungal drop for five days, then the ENT spec...  Read Full »

I have fungal infection in my ear.Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with fungal ear infection yesterday. Doctor asked me to get admitted in the hospital for a microsuction to remove fungal debris. Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction? Can microsuction be done as an out patient procedure without staying in...  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome in would like to tell you that fungal infection in ear is quite common and it may be treated by: Cleaning the ear: Cleaning may be done by suction or syringing or by cotton swab. Antifungal ear drops to be used three or four times a day. Anti-inflammatory medicine to reliev...  Read Full »

Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?

Query: Hello doctor,A few months back, I had ear pain and according to the doctor, I had a fungal infection and got my ear cleansed and prescribed some drops for my ear to be used. As I used those ear drops my ear pain got increased and it turned into a very severe pain that I start feeling that some fluid...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concerns. Regarding your ear pain, it is most likely what is called otitis externa which is an infection of the outer canal of the ear most likely fungal. Wet ear is the most common cause also called swimmer's ear. The most appropriate management: ...  Read Full »

Ear block and discharge remain even after antibiotic. Kindly provide suggestions.

Query: Hello doctor,I have got an ear itching five days before and went to a doctor. The doctor has told me that my ear got affected with fungus and prescribed Otinex ear drops. I continued that for three days. Initially, I got pain and liquid discharge from ears. Now, pain has gone but slight liquid disch...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan N

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Did your doctor look into the ear using an otoscope or endoscope? If so, and then he diagnosed as fungus then it is fine. In that case, continue the drops for a week and wait. Do not let water enter the ear while taking bath or swimming. In my set up, I give Ciplox (...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours
Chat with a Doctor

Chat with a Doctor

Starting @ just $29.99

Search for a Health Issue


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.