Fungal Infection Of Scalp

What causes a bald patch on the head of a 2 year old?

Query: Hi doctor, My 2 year old daughter has a bald patch on head. It is oval in shape with no hair in it. It is getting bigger time to time. I am waiting for her blood test appointment now. What is this condition called? How to cure it?  Read Full »

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I presume it as tinea capitis or simply a fungal infection of the scalp. Do not worry, hair can regrow again and there is no permanent damage. It is common in children. It is very important to start the following early for best results: Stop oiling the scalp. Oil is ...  Read Full »

I have itchy scalp. Is it folliculitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I hope you will read it thoroughly and answer every query. I am a 30 years old male. It all started with itchy scalp ten months back this summer. But, I was not concerned much, since it was just itchy and some bumps like mosquito bites (not more than two to three) and some swelling as...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Physician, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Preventive Medicine Physician, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked your photos (attachments removed to protect patient identity). It is better you go for haircut and shave or trim beard. It may be due to folliculitis or fungal infection by the description. You can get it examined by a doctor or dermatologist for physic...  Read Full »

I have a scaly patch on my scalp which does not go away. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a chronic 3 cm patch on my scalp, which has scales in it. If I remove these scales, gum-like liquid forms in that area and it dries to form the scales again. It reduces if I tonsure my hair and increases with hair growth. I do not have similar patches anywher...  Read Full »

Dr. Asiya Hafeez

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a partially treated lesion. From your description, your scaly scalp could be seborrhea or psoriatic plaque. An autoimmune disorder has probably caused it. Investigations to be done: Fasting lipid. Hepatitis B and C serology. Skin biopsy. Scraping for fungus. I su...  Read Full »

From the photo, please confirm if my son has ringworm infection.

Query: Hi doctor,mI believe that my 6 year old son has ringworm infection. It started out small and then within a few days has gotten larger. I have attached the photo for your reference.  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and saw your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, you are right. It does appear to be a ringworm infection of the scalp called as tinea capitis. I suggest that you have a culture of the skin scrapings or microbi...  Read Full »

I noticed an itchy, raised and hard lesion on my scalp. What is that?

Query: Hi doctor, I noticed a scalp lesion two months ago. It is a bit scaly if scratched, hard and raised. I would like to peel it off, but it is not getting removed. But, I did not notice any hair loss. Other than a little bit of itching of the scalp, there is no issue.  Read Full »

Dr. Shalini Patodiya

Dermatologist, Venereologist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, Hair Transplant Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be scalp psoriasis or warts. Please send me a photo to diagnose the condition and suggest you treatment. Revert with the photos to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full »