Q. I have fungal infection in my private parts with pain. Kindly help.

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

I am a 30-year-old male. My weight is 67 kg, and I am 5'6" feet tall. I have a fungal infection in private areas. I am feeling pain and have an infection for the past two to three weeks. I have only one lesion, but now it is increasing on the glans. Please suggest. I am currently taking Dazit.

#

I understand your concern and have seen the attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From the photo, it does not look like a fungal infection as there are clear cut nodular lesions.

Is there any history of risky sexual exposure recently? Any pus from the lesion, associated fever or chills? Any history of condom allergy? What is the skin allergy that you had? Any rashes on the body? Kindly answer all the queries to arrive at a diagnosis.

I do not have a history of sexual exposure anytime. I have a little bit pus from the cut lesions. No fever or chills, no history of condom allergy. I have a skin allergy like redness or itchy rashes on the skin for the last four years, and the doctor suggested taking Dazit and Atarax. Should I stop this tablet to cure this disease? Please suggest. This is the first time I got infected in my private area. I have seen only one cut lesion in the past one week, but now it is increasing and seen some pus in it.

#

Since there is no risky sexual exposure, what you experience might just be a reaction due to increased body heat together with a minimal fungal infection as the area is prone for it.

You can use tablet Cefadroxil 500 mg twice daily for five days (short course of antibiotics to reduce the inflammation), tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily for five days, Fusidic cream for application in the morning (antibacterial) for two weeks, Miconazole cream for application in the night (antifungal) for two weeks, KZ soap (Ketoconazole) soap for wash twice daily, and tablet Atarax 10 mg once daily at night for two weeks (if itching persists). Provided there is no prior allergy to these medications.

Review after two weeks. If there is no improvement even after two weeks, you may have to give for culture and sensitivity studies.

Also follow these measures:

1. Keep the area always dry.

2. Use only dry clothes.

3. Wear loose, breathable cotton clothes.

4. Iron your clothes before wearing to kill the fungal molds.

5. Wash area with lukewarm water.

6. Frequent changing of bed linens and towels.

7. Do not share your personal items.

8. Maintain good genital hygiene.

|