Q. Can you advise medication for fungal infection?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
Published on Apr 06, 2017

I have developed some fungal infection under my inner thigh. It is itching badly. It is red and round with elevated outer edges. It is very close to scrotum. It first developed two weeks before. When I applied Clotrimazole it got cured but recurred again now. Can you advise some medication?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

• Fungal infection indeed is very problematic if it becomes recurrent. First of all you keep the following precaution in mind.
  • Do not keep the area wet at all. Use powder frequently to keep it dry.
  • Avoid itching and do not scratch it. Change the undergarments regularly. Avoid excessive sweating and wet clothes.
  • Do not apply any general or steroid creams like Betnovate, etc.
  • Do not stop the medicine once you cure. Continue medicine for long time to completely kill the fungal.
  • Check diabetes and thyroid it is really recurrent even after proper treatment.
  • Now treatment part:
  1. Ketoconazole cream (KZ Cream) plus tablet Terbinafine (GRIS ODT) 250 mg for two months.
  2. Terbinafine cream plus Fluconazole 150 mg twice in a week for two months.
  3. Tablet Itraconazole 200 mg twice in a day and KZ cream for one month
  • These are treatment combinations. Please continue any one of it.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Should I take all the three combinations simultaneously?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

#

• No, these are combination of antifungal medicine you can take.
  • The best is to start with the combination Terbinafine cream plus Fluconazole 150 mg twice in a week for a month.

Revert back after a month to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have colorless and odorless discharge. Is it due to hormonal imbalance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I am suffering from white discharge since the last four months. It is colorless, odorless with no itchiness and the quantity of the discharge is more than normal. Two years back, I had a similar problem for which I was advised to take Fluconazole 150 mg thre...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sunita Kothari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest starting FAS-3 kit (Fluconazole, Azithromycin, and Secnidazole) weekly, one tab eight hourly for three weeks. Then insert Canesten (Clotrimazole) vaginal cream internally for seven days. Then Candid (Clotrimazole) dusting powder externally. Start tablet Yaz...  Read Full

Can Hydrozole be used for jock itch?

Query: Hi doctor, I had jock itch two months ago for the very first time. It is still there but fading. I started using Hydrozole cream two weeks ago, it seems to be working. How long it would take for a complete cure? After using this cream I fell some itch in legs. Now the groin skin appears red and ver...  Read Full >>

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hydrozole (combination of Hydrocortisone and Clotrimazole) cream contains steroid and should not be used as a treatment for jock itch (fungal infection of the groin). You will experience temporary relief while using it but your condition will aggravate once you stop using...  Read Full

Does Itching Disturb Your Regular Activities?

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the diagnosis and management of severe itching. Read Article

Nowadays itching is a major problem or symptom of most of the allergic, systemic or fungal diseases. 4 out of 10 people have had some type of itching problem of the skin in their routine life. Severe itch also disturbs regular activities of daily living of mankind. What is Itching? Itching is de...  Read Article