Q. Can you advise medication for fungal infection?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 12, 2021

I have developed some fungal infection under my inner thigh. It is itching badly. It is red and round with elevated outer edges. It is very close to scrotum. It first developed two weeks before. When I applied Clotrimazole it got cured but recurred again now. Can you advise some medication?

#

• Fungal infection indeed is very problematic if it becomes recurrent. First of all you keep the following precaution in mind.
  • Do not keep the area wet at all. Use powder frequently to keep it dry.
  • Avoid itching and do not scratch it. Change the undergarments regularly. Avoid excessive sweating and wet clothes.
  • Do not apply any general or steroid creams like Betnovate, etc.
  • Do not stop the medicine once you cure. Continue medicine for long time to completely kill the fungal.
  • Check diabetes and thyroid it is really recurrent even after proper treatment.
  • Now treatment part:
  1. Ketoconazole cream (KZ Cream) plus tablet Terbinafine (GRIS ODT) 250 mg for two months.
  2. Terbinafine cream plus Fluconazole 150 mg twice in a week for two months.
  3. Tablet Itraconazole 200 mg twice in a day and KZ cream for one month
  • These are treatment combinations. Please continue any one of it.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Should I take all the three combinations simultaneously?

#

• No, these are combination of antifungal medicine you can take.
  • The best is to start with the combination Terbinafine cream plus Fluconazole 150 mg twice in a week for a month.

Revert back after a month to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|