Q. Why am I having severe itching beneath the belly and between thighs?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
Published on May 31, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My problem is severe itching beneath the belly and between thighs. There are also marks. When I first consulted, the doctor prescribed Onabet cream. It did not go. The second time, another doctor prescribed Permethrin cream. It did not go. Later I consulted a doctor directly and he gave me Ebernet cream. Still, I have the issue. I also used Clotrimazole cream. It did not go. I maintain good hygene. It is almost like dermatophytes as one of the doctors said. Please prescribe me a strong ointment.

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

I have gone through your case. Marks could be scratch marks due to dryness, it could be due to scabies for which you have been given Permethrin and it could be a fungal infection for which you have used Clotrimazole cream. Sometimes fungal infection may require six weeks of treatment. And problem arises when the patient leaves treatment halfway considering it is not effective and then it becomes resistant, and require even prolong treatment.

Similarly, itching due to dryness may require prolonged and continuous moisturizing. So, in my opinion, continue to apply Clotrimazole cream 2 to 3 times a day, do not use Onabet (Sertaconazole). Avoid sweating and friction and apply vaseline lotion at night.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

A Common Human Mite Infestation - Scabies

Article Overview: This article discusses the signs, symptoms and management of scabies. Read Article

Scabies is the most common mite infestation in human beings. Scabies Causative Organism The itch mite is Sarcoptes scabiei var hominis. It has an oval shaped body with four pairs of short legs. The female mite is larger than the male. In a usual patient of scabies, average number of mites is 10 to...  Read Article

After applying Permethrin for scabies my baby got rashes. What to do now?

Query: Hi doctor, My 4.5 months old baby girl was diagnosed with scabies before a month. Her pediatrician advised to apply Permethrin both for mother and baby. After applying she got new rashes all over the body, especially on face, around cheeks and both lower legs, feet and sole. Now on her back three or...  Read Full »

General Measures Against Fungal Infection and Use of Antifungal Agents

Article Overview: This article discusses about the commonly used antifungal agents and general measures to prevent dermatophytosis (ringworm or tinea), which is very common during summer. Read Article

Antifungal agents are usually applied for two to three weeks twice daily. Over application can irritate sensitive and damaged skin. The following are the different antifungal agents that are used for various fungal infections. Imidazoles, which include Miconazole 2%, Clotrimazole 1...  Read Article