Q. My Head has a small lump filled with pus foe past 6 months. Will it go by itself?

Dr. Bn Bhagat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I am 23 years old male. I have had pimple-like lumps in one spot on my head for about six months. Please help.

#

I understand your concern. In the picture (attachment removed to protect patient's identity) by looking I think it is furuncle or commonly called as boil. It is painful pus filled bump under the skin which starts as reddish, tender swelling and gets filled up with pus till it ruptures and drain. I would like to know the following,

1) When it appeared in the back of head?

2) Is it painful?

3) Any fever?

Most boils are caused by bacteria called staphylococcus aureus. Warm compress over the swelling promotes natural drainage and relieve the pain also. If it is recurring you may need to take antibiotic like Cloxacillin or pus may be sent for lab testing to determine the sensitivity of the microorganism to various antibiotic to prevent resistance to the antibiotic. Clean it with clean gauze piece of cloth. Wash your hand with soap before you touch it to prevent further spread. If it is present for more than two weeks, visit local dermatologist to diagnose it (probably it is furuncle) and guidance of antibiotic intake. Hope you find my reply helpful.

Hello doctor.

Thank you for the response. Now it has ruptured. What to do further?

#

Since it got ruptured, it will start to heal. Follow antiseptic precautions. Keep it clean. Let the pus to completely drain. Apply antiseptic cream over sterile gauze piece of cloth and cover it to prevent further infection. If it does not resolve you might need to take antibiotic. Take care.

|